TURP two months ago

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had my TURP operation 8 weeks ago, the bleeding stopped after about 10 days and along with a few scabs. At the moment I find when I go to pass urine, although it comes out fast, there does not seem to be a great amount. Has anyone else come across this.

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Michael   Can I ask how old are you and why did you pick a turp.    There are so many problems and side effects with this surgery.  I would give it another  week if your not in any pain You may not be emptying your bladder.  Also has we get older not everyone heals the same way and it may take your body longer.     Did you know you may have to go through it again in 3 to 5 years. My prostate was the size of a lemon.    I had a urolift done 4 weeks ago and the bleeding stopped in one day and I'm peeing great don't get up 4 or 5 times a night to pee and sex is very good  Orgasm are intense.  Take care and just relax  Ken        
    • Posted

Hi Ken thank you for your reply. I am now 67 years old. when I had the operation I was told they had taken 85% of the prostate away. I am waiting for the follow up appointment in about 4 weeks time (hopefully). I does seem like my bladder is not emptying properly but will just have to wait for the scan on my follow up appoint.
    • Posted

Sorry Ken forgot to say that I was only told about the TURP and didn't know about any other type of operation
    • Posted

I wish you had more information on it.  When the doctor told you about it did you look it up and find out the side effects.  I hope I'm not to forward but are you still into sex.  I know it said not to try anything for 4 to 6 weeks.  When you do don't get scared if nothing come out That a dry orgasm That is permanent  A side effect fron the turp.  Take care and I hope all get better.  Before anything is done get some more information on it ken
    • Posted

Thanks ken nice talking to you I'll just have to wait and see what my options are on my follow up appointment. Take care
    • Posted

Kenneth you are a bundle of fun with your anti surgery posts.  Although I refused to have a 'Bloody' TURP they do work for many people. Let Michael's operation settle down and he will know how sucessful it has or has not been. You don't know how long your procedure will last as it is so new. 

His flow is more important than the volume that he is passing if his frequency is near enough normal and he does not feel that he is retaining..

Sad fact in the UK is that TURP is still No. 1 with most NHS urologists and they don't spread the news about the 'newer' proedures like PVP that have only been around for a mere twelve years. In 2005 I had to insist on being referred to a hospital in another part of the country doing PVP.

When I needed a second procedure the traditionalists at my local hospital only offered TURP and I had to find out for myself that another surgeon at the hospital had been doing Holmium Laser surgery for over five years.

• Posted

Derek I am not anti surgery but we as men have to pick the right procdure for us.  Alot of men take the word of there doctor and when something goes wrong who do they blame and I know the urolift is new It only been around 7 years and and only was approved by the FDA 3 yeas ago.  But it was the best for me. My doctor has done only 100 and all men have had good flo My doctor told me that it should last 10 to 15 years the turp has to be done sometimes every 3 to 5 years.  I wish  good health      Ken 
    • Posted

TURP lasts some people a lifetime and certainly more than five years.

As I said after my PVP it was easier than going to the dentsts and I would not mind having one every year if needed. As it was I lasted eight years. The hospital who did my PVP eventually on a split decision went over to HOLEP that my reading of US forums seems to be the Go For procedure on your side of the Pond.  

I was quite happy to take Holmium laser as it had been around for a while and saved me from having to travel for PVP or HOLEP.

• Posted

Derek  I am not saying that it does no work I was just saying what I read in a turp article it was from a survey of 100 men 10 had to have it redone  Yoe read and get the informaion but not all men do Take care
    • Posted

My dr said the most successful An he does them all An he is not one to lie he gave me my best outlook with Turp it has been hell for 48 days mentally and physically but I know more suffering worse than me I just pray I heal he said expect 4-6 months because my size was huge 1.5 hr operation hot baths heating pad ice bag he said no sex till the scabing heals no booze or coffee if u am smart An to take it easy no lifting straining take bulk fiber An Xanax 0.5 helps when I am tripping 
    • Posted

Ummmm you know he told me and told me how

Much removed but I seem to remember 330 and 1 something removed but I could be way off

• Posted

That is big. When mine regrew after the PVP it was 135 grms. He took away 80grms.
    • Posted

John just because he said that it is the most successful does not mean it was the best for you.  It is the worst to heal from.  THere have been some men on here that it takes up to a year to heal.  I feel that you would have had a better chance with Holep or GL because it is done with a laser and not a knive.  Faster healing time and less bleeding.  But whats done is done.  I hope you get better soon.  It will take time..Ken 
    • Posted

I hope not buddy.  Just try to relax and no heavy lifing.  Try also not to sit for long period. Get off your butt when you can.  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.