Sertraline side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm just wondering what side effects people have encountered whilst taking sertraline? I have just been prescribed 75mg to help with severe depression and GAD but I am reluctant to start taking them. I was on 75mg of venlafaxine for 2.5 years and in that time I gained 2 stone, couldn't focus on anything and was tired all the time. Definitely don't want that to happen again, doc said sertraline doesn't do that but I'm dubious. Any experiences would be really helpful. Thanks xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have lost weight on sertraline (possibly, as in I changed from citalopram, and weightloss has occured during my sertraline use, other factors may be at hand.)

You have to look at all factors, your diet, how much you eat, your excersise levels etc. 

I can say from my experience that the two drugs I have taken both felt different, so try sertraline, take your initial course of medication, monitor your BMI in a log, and assess it as you go.

• Posted

Thanks venom. That's really good advice. I guess I'm just scared as my experience with venlafaxine was so bad and it wasn't worth the little good it did.

Hopefully sertraline will do more for me.

• Posted

You can't predict how medication will affect you, as each person has a different biological make-up. Just give it a go, but also consider all factors, not just drugs. There are lots of helth apps for smart-devices, so get one (or use the built in one on iPhone) and make a habit of it, hopefully it'll turn into a hobby, & you'll enjot it.
  • Posted

Every SSRI reacts differently with everybody. Personally I had a bad experience with sertaline. I have severe anxiety/ptsd. My dr started me on 25 mg and within a couple months had me up to 150mg and I felt like I went nuts. I felt like I was in a fog all the time, I was tired and wanted to lay in bed all day as well as still having the anxiety. I switched to Prozac and I feel like a new person again.
  • Posted

my daughter has been taking this for a few weeks and she cannot concentrate she is biored all the time yet cannot do anything about it as she cannt focus on anything for any period of time!!! finding this very difficuky to deal with she is also taking aripiprazole for osychosis anyone else out there suffering similar ?
  • Posted

Hi Bird,

when did you stop the venlafaxine? Why did you stop it and did you have any problems with stopping?

I'm asking because sometimes withdrawal symptoms come in form of severe depression, even months after stopping the drug. If you start Sertraline, it would prolong the cycle. I'm not saying this is necessarily what is happening since I don't know your situation. But it could be.

Was your depression severe before you started Venlafaxine?

I had a really awful experience with both Venlafaxine and Sertraline. They knocked me out for 4 months and I'm still not recovered. 

I can't recommend either of the drugs to anyone.

Cheers,

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I stopped venlafaxine about a year and a half ago and I stopped cold turkey which was the WORST. But I just wanted it over with. I was severely depressed and suffering chronic anxiety at the time I was put on venlafaxine. However, I found the side effects (constant lethargy, brain fog, unable to focus, 2 stone weight gain) outweighed the small good the drug was doing. I was still anxious and depressed just not as much as before.

I am kind of feeling the same now and have just been told I have an overactive thyroid gland which is sending everything into overdrive. I have a lot of stressful stuff going on and have been dealing with a lot by myself for the last 10 years (long story!). I guess I'm just looking for something to ease the discomfort in my mind but I'm scared to started medication again.

• Posted

Hi Bird,

> I have a lot of stressful stuff going on and have been dealing with a lot by myself for the last 10 years (long story!).

Funny, that was the exact same reason I decided to go on ADs. I thought "I've been battling this without any help for years, why can't I try something to help". For me, the outcome was a complete disaster, so that's why I'm quite against ADs now. They ruined my entire life, work, finances etc.

But since then, I've been reading a lot and thinking about how to battle my anxiety, should I ever recover from this adverse reaction.

I think there's still a couple of things you could try before resorting to toxic AD chemicals:

1. Is there any fix for the thyroid issue? It sounds like if you get this under control, your anxiety might disappear. I decided to always search for natural remedies now and try those first before taking medicine.

2. Orthomolecular medicine: I would have laughed at this before I had the experience that a chemical (AD) can turn me from me into some paranoid, crazy being that has nothing to do with me.

But now I understand just how much power chemicals (which vitamins ultimately are as well) have on our brain. I was experimenting a bit with Methylfolate and I think it helps my anxiety. I'll go to an orthomolecular practitioner now soon and see if he can do some blood test and determine if I have any vitamin deficiencies.

3. Learn a relaxation technique like Thay Chi. If we're able to relax and take ourselves out of this anxious racing in our minds, maybe we'll be able to live a peaceful live.

Sorry for all the blabla, I hope some of it is helpful ;-)

Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.