Pain relief for Achalsia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had achlasia for the past 5/6 years, I have now had 6 diallitations and two lots of hellers myotomy which have all failled to give any relief to symtoms. I'm probably at end stage now close to full esophagectomy.

I usally get pain in stomach/epigastric area which is like an achey sort of pain probably due to amounts of surgery and streches. I also get quite alot of chest pain, I have tried nifedipine, sprays, sipping water ect but to no relief. I struggle taking liquid medications and I can't take any sort of tablets.

It's normally no use anymore and I sort of bull up to severe pain now or head to A&E for pain medication. (However, because I'm of a young age and sometimes require medication every 4/6 weeks due to build up of pain, the Hospital has said that I am seeking medication)

Any advice on pain relief? Dealing with chronic pain? Dealing with hospitals?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You might try Buscopan.   And ask a good pharmacist whether there are pain relief medications that could be absorbed under the tongue.

I am presuming that the chest pain is spasm rather than heartburn.

• Posted

I have tablets which dissolve in the mouth but I also bought a pill crusher on the advice of the chemist and now able to take other medication which are supplied by the doctor.  I am now having botox injections every 6 months which have helped and am now able to eat quite well (food is mashed still). Other people on this site mention drinking milk and have found this a great help.
  • Posted

Unfortunately I am allergic to Buscopan and even Diclofenac. The pains in the chest are most likely spasms and due to the amount of surgery and stretches on the sphincter I have been told by 3 different consultants, 2 surgical and one gastroenterologist that it wouldn't make any difference with the botox unfortunately.
    • Posted

I wonder if there is anything that a neurologist might be able to help with?   Or even something like acupuncture?   It might make a little bit of difference perhaps?   This is purely non-qualified speculation by the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.