Really bad side effects!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted not so long ago I think I said I was on week 5? But apparently I'm only coming up to week 4.. Feels like a lot longer! Basically I I've been really sick with the flu for the past week so I haven't really been doing too much because I've been trying to get better. My anxiety is actually so bad at the moment. I literally worry about anything and everything 24/7. On top of that I'm feeling really depressed-like really depressed. I'm having suicidal thoughts, feeling like I'm not really here and feeling really out of it. I really don't want to take my pills right now because I'm thinking that there going to make me go like crazy.. Im on 40mg I think ? I take two of the pills. I started reading about how anti depressants make you more depressed and more anxious last night and I've been really terrified ever since. I get that it's early stages but at this point I don't know how much longer I can deal with this.. I cry all the time, stressed out, I don't want to do anything or go anywhere. I really don't think I should take fluxoteine anymore if it's going to make me feel like this rolleyes this is the worse I've ever felt. sad

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you didn't feel like this prior to the medicine with the thoughts and depression. I would contact your doctor. Prayers you getter soon!
    • Posted

Okay it made be worse at first too! Just hang in there and it will get better. I'm 12 weeks in and I'm doing ok but not my best. I am improving little by little each week.
    • Posted

Kasey you need to breathe and stop... this isn't helping you. If you are having suicidal thoughts you can call the Samaritans or go to A&E and speak to someone. It's okay, we're all in the same boat - the tablets aren't going to do you any harm. Take your pills as directed by your Doctor. The side effects can be awful at first but I'm coming up to week 8 now and starting to feel much better. It takes a long time. If you can manage it, have a hot bath, read a book or listen to some music. Distract yourself from all of this for a while - you are taking medicine, you don't need to focus on it. Do you play video games or like films? Try to do something you enjoy to take your mind off things. It does get better. Don't be alone if you are afraid to though, there is help out there xx
    • Posted

I feel a bit better right now than what I did earlier.. I've got work off for the next few days so I'm just trying to relax and I've been watching movies most of the day which does help. Do you think it's normal to still be thinking about it even while I am distracting myself and feeling better about it? It's not so much that I'm thinking about killing myself it's just that I get really intrusive thoughts like "I could just kills myself" or "it would be easier if i just wasn't alive". I don't really have the desire to do it and I wouldn't go through with it but the fact that I'm even thinking about it is irrating and scary. And that's seems to be how my thought pattern has been these past few days just really irrational and far fetched things. I get that there just thoughts but it's still really annoying and prevents me from getting on.. I guess I was more looking for that reassurance that this is normal to be feeling this way.. I think it'll be exactly 4weeks this Wednesday coming so it still is really early stages but I'm really scared that il be feeling like this forever to be honest rolleyes I just don't feel myself at all and I keep thinking maybe I'm not on the right medication rolleyes
    • Posted

Kasey I was the exact same way to the T! It does get better so don't give up it just takes this medicine forever! I still every now and then get a random thought (maybe 1 time a week before I would get them repeatedly daily) but now I just push it away and go on. The medicine makes it easier. Just the thought of thinking something like that is what drove my anxiety up. Because I have a perfect life and I didn't understand why this was happening to me. It started a couple months after a miscarriage. I didn't want to do anything I just wanted the thoughts to stop. Pray about it and read psalms it helped me a lot.
    • Posted

It is normal Kasey, I promise. Obviously I don't want to tell you it's okay if you think you are at risk but the tablets do cause a massive increase in anxiety before they get better. If you can manage to keep work up they'll be even better for you - being out and living your life is much better for you then being off. That said, I have been off work for 9 weeks and on fluoxetine for 8 - only now am I starting to feel myself again and consider going back. IIll probably wait another few weeks. It takes a while. Give them a chance and if you don't feel any different by 8 weeks then go back to your doctor, you may just need a different dose. I'm sure they'll work for you though, I haven't heard anyone say they haven't helped at all yet. Stick with it and come on here for a chat whenever you need to. Sometimes takes people a while to reply but it's good to have support xx
    • Posted

The thing is when I'm feeling this way I'm usually able to distract my mind but I really can't seem to do so and its so frustrating rolleyes did you find it hard to "stop thinking"or does that have something to do with the fluoxetine? I'm feeling like I'm in this cycle from the moment I go to sleep til I wake up and I feel like il be this way forever.. up until this past week I was feeling really good and then I just started to feel this way and ever since its been really hard.. Will the thoughts ever stop sad
    • Posted

I'm not really sure if I can handle it because I feel like what if I wait another month or so but by then I've lost my mind or something rolleyes idk.. I can distract myself but I'm still thinking about it and that's what's getting to me rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Kasey,

How are you doing?

I hope you are feeling a little better. We're here if you need us xx

• Posted

Hi kaseydawn

The medication does heighten your illness at first unfortunately.  It does get better.

My son had a melt down last year and started on fluoxetine last August and seriously went through hell.  Suicidal thoughts, sickness, shivering, feeling depersonalised, deep depression and anxiety etc .... such a worry for all of us and so very upsetting to see my son like it.  He was off work about 4 months and was watched very carefully by medical staff and the family.  However, he persevered through it all, and slowly he got better.  It's now coming up for 10 months and I have my son back - happy, smiling and full of life.

You are having side effect symptoms so please know this isn't you - you even said you don't have the desire to do it.  You need to speak to someone please if you're having suicidal tendencies - they should only be temporary, but you need to have support whilst waiting for this medicine to start helping.  If ever you feel like that contact the Samaritans, your local Crisis Team, family, a friend, doctors ..... someone xxx

You will have irrational thoughts, but they will ease off in time.  Thoughts are often all over the place and scary when you have this illness - your mind is tired and thoughts stick and bounce around a tired mind, but the medication will help put them back in perspective once it starts working.

You aren't alone - many people have gone down exactly the same path as you and have recovered.  

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.