SIMVASTATIN 40mg Joint issue..Is it just me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, I have been taking the above for 12 months now, I am getting a weird sensation, ie one finger seems to 'lock' over night, not too dramatic or painful, but there is slight swelling to three finger joints only on one hand.. I have been 'trouble' free for years, and it seems since taking these Satins, I am experiencing 'issues' 

These are Crescent brand.  On some prescriptions the manufacturers do alternate but my prescription lasts for 3 months.  For what it’s worth I am a fit and active 59 old.. ( 20yrs old in my mind though!)

I would love to know if anyone else experienced similar conditions.  I do not suffer in any other way. Ie not other joints affected. If so should I ask the Doctor to change the brand, and stick with one brand??

Many thanks in anticipation.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

G'day Nige,

You are not alone. It seems you are one of a multitude of people (see more on this subject board) that is intolerant to Simvastatin and maybe other statins.

Why are you taking statins in the first place, have you had a heart problem? And if statins are really necessary for you ask your GP to change to another type.

I discovered that I was intolerant to all statins and have finished up with peripheral neuropathy that I believe, in the absence of any other cause, is statin related. So beware.

• Posted

Hi Marco, many thanks for the prompt reply!  Very good question, and the responce_  My GP said '' I would put every one post 50 onto them, due to the stroke prevention qualities''  That is really.  I have very slight heart pressure but again the GP has siad he will be taking me off these soon.. ( loosing weight!! Which is so often the key for most things.. I am NOT too heavy my BMI is ''close''  to where it should be..  WOW some issue, and many thanks for the heads-up... I feel a trip to the GP is in order!!
    • Posted

I was on Simvastatin and started losing weight almost immediately. The statin attacks an enzyme called CQ10 and there is one school of thought that you should take one with the other to counteract the weight loss. In three years I have lost four stone of muscle, Go see your GP
  • Posted

Hi Nigel, welcome to the side effects club which can be disturbing at times--bit like the Rocky Horror Show. After 12 years on 80mg, less prior to this, I have had the following some quite severe,,, tingling-severe cramp in the night-joint and muscle ache-sever skin irritation and burning sensations, unable to sleep-sever headaches-severe loss of memory one time having to have my pockets searched by shop asst.s to obtain a tele number to summon my wife as I had a memory wipe out and the short term loss for several months-short of breath along with many others. Each time I suffer I come off statins and recover sometimes quickly and others up to 2 months, I have now been put onto 10 mg for a while and advised to rebuild my intake slowly. Problem,,,at my surgery no one appears to get reviewed and tablets are issued no question asked. Me,, I am at a loss on which path to take as all advice is different and doctors appear to be as confused as the rest of us---its a case of "keep taking the tablet things will come right in the end", if the statins don`t get you first.
    • Posted

Re Side-Effects Club (one I would happily quit!)

Hi Reggyside,

Many thanks for your response; I had NO idea how wide spread the 'effects' are form a negative perspective!

Boy have you been through the wars! I sincerely hope your situation has hit an equilibrium, and you are right keep taking them, as I guess the alternative is a lot worse…

Kindest regards,

N

• Posted

Nige -

Keep looking at the various threads here on this site.  The side effects you'll see will curl your hair, and that's at 40mg!  I just saw on another thread where someone had been taking 80mg!

Also see the FDA's new warnings on statins, use .gov rather than .com, and be sure to type in the www. first - on my browser it doesn't work without it.  In a pinch Google FDA and it will come up.  Go there, then type "statins" in the FDA's search box.  Just like doing that here, you will bring up a plethora of need to know information!

• Posted

Wow I did not realise what a 'mins-field' Satins are!  A degree of 'pot-luck' vis a vis reactions!

• Posted

They are kinda suspect, I think, esp. when you think about a lifetime on them.  Very effective at what they do, but possibly too much so!  You are supposed tio be keeping your body soaked in them, 24/7, for weeks, months, years, indefinitely.  According to the drug companies anyway.

Not on my watch...

• Posted

Hi; I have been tried on Statis several times and each time I have to stop because of acute joint pains, usually hips (mainly left one) but also in feet. My cholesterol was 6.5 and is now around 5 with no help from statins. I think these are dreadful medicines and not sure why they are promoted as life giving wonder drugs. I am sure that I read they can also cause muscle wastage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.