anal fissure from last 19 months .

Posted , 9 users are following.

i had anal fissure after i got consipated following my child birth. it never went it does heal but comes back soo easily, i have tried everthing, gtn , ausol hc, suppositories. used all laxaives to keep my stools soft but it will come back no matter what, recently its coming back like every few days sometimes every 3 to 4 days. m in absolute agony. been to gp he has referred me to surgeon , and m booked in for an appointment on 4th. now my question is what should i expect at first consultation? i have also read some forums and saw if ur fissure is not very bad they send u back n with follow p after 6 weeks?? is that right? what should i do ?? shud i stop taking laxatives?? i already had a re tear n it hurts sooo bad sad but is that right if its not bad surgeon will send me home?? please some1 help mesad has any1 been to euxton hall hospital for surgery? i have tried everything and now i want a permanent solution for my problem, i have tried everything nothing helped mesad now i really need help heresad what should i do?? is it important for ur fissure to be very bad so u can be referred for surgery?? or they refer u because u have persistent re curring fissures? m at a point where if i pass normal poo it will bruise me n re tear my fissure is that even normal?? i cant pass normal poo if i dont take laxatives bear in my mind i dont eat red meat, jst ttry n eat fruis n vegetables. ur help will be highly appreciated

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mrs Shah - so sorry you are long suffering.  I am just coming out of a 5 months painful episode woth a fissure.  There is nothing I have ever experienced as painful as this, so you have my sympathy.  Its just awful, and I am so sorry yours is reoccuring.

I would think the surgeon will take into consideration your history and that it should be sufficient.  I have found surgeons very aminiable to do pretty much whatever I want them to do.....so, if you DO find they try to just send you home to see how yuo get on - REFUSE - stand your ground, and tell them you cannot live with the pain any longer.  I have found the NHS very good if you make it work for you - not them - so do not let them push you around.  I would not expect them too as you have a history, but if they do - just refuse and demand the surgery.  It is why you pay tax.  

Don;t make yourself worse for your appointment - no need t make yourself usffer more.  Just be honest and firm and be in control - its your body and your health and they are there to work for you.

Good luck.  xx

• Posted

Hi PenceJ thanks for ur reply actually i am going through nhs but to a private hospital because nhs waiting list is just too long, i cudnt wait that long, now i dont want to go for botox at all, i want permanent cure for my treatment, so i dont have to go for surgery again and atleast can get rid of this pain its just taking my life away, its really difficult to live with, now my question is my anal ring is very tight since i had first bout of fissure, if i pass normal poo ( normal means not very soft but a bit dry poo not constipated it hurts alot n bruise me ) is there any treatment for that? Is that covered with fissure treatment or something else need to be done for that? M so scared but definetly want something doen for this now
  • Posted

Hi. I know where yr coming from. I've lived with this for 9 years and I too have tried everything. I had three lots of botox but it didn't work. Two weeks ago I had the surgery. I had a really bad inf and the pain was so bad I really wanted to not live. I'm still on antibiotics but the pain is easing after bowel movements. I've had a chronic tear and apparently much smaller one higher up. Before the surgery to me it felt like I was being knifed up the backside when I had a bm. My advice drink 3 litres of water, keep poop soft. Its terrible and even after surgery I experienced pain like I have never known CD be possible. Before surgery when I was so bad I did find the anusol suppoaitries helped to calm the area down but I knew it wouldn't heal it. I'm still in recovery. It was a big decision to have lateral internal spincterectomy because of risks but I am now in less pain and hoping this will be the end. The botix didn't work for me but for some it does x x. X
    • Posted

Hi claire406 , how deep was ur fissure? Did ur surgeon gave u option of Lateral internal surgery in start? Or he gave u that after third botox? I really want a permanent solution so may not opt for botox ,can u tell me about ur surgery?? How it happend pre op n post op? How long were u admitted? And how were things for u later on? Did u had any bandage or stuff on?? I have a small baby she is 18 months m really worried for her as well
    • Posted

Hi. First of all my surgeon offered botox. They can do this 3 times. They do this first as it is less risky. Believe me u don't want to be pooping yourself. After 3 failed attempts of went back and they referred me to physiology where they look and so loads of tests of your muscle function. They then look at these results. My muscle function tests were very good. Based on this I went for surgery. As for where they are I could feel one deep inside and the surgeon told me I have another one up fuether . I've been two weeks since my op. I do get a little burning when I poop but its minimal pain to the chronic fissure pain. I was constantly wracked for hours in pain before. Get a really good surgeon if u do decide to go for it. I read up lots before. I don't want to frighten u but if the surgeon cuts too deep, incontence can occur. The pharmacy near me told me of a woman who had the same op and is permently incontinent. I was terrified before my op but now its the best thing I ever done xxxx
  • Posted

Hi,

I have suffered from a fissure, on and off for over 10 years, until last August. I hope my story may be of some help. I was referred by one of the GP's at the practice I go to see a consultant. In the 5 months it took to get my appointment, I saw another GP.  Although I had been prescribed Laxido for along time, along with GTN etc, I had never been told it was ok to take up to 8 sachets daily. The GP promptly told me to take as much as needed. She also said that I should consider using this , for life, as an alternative to surgery.

I eventualy saw the consultant who was a really nice woman. She said that she could do the lateral sphincterotomy, after an examination under general anasthetic. But she agreed that if taking Laxido was keeping me pain free, then to carry on with that. She also added Lactulose to my prescription.

I now take, on average 2 sachets of laxido, and my lactulose, daily. no pain, no active fissure since August last year. If I had been advised to do all this years ago, I would have not had to endure the pain I went through. I was even given Tramadol last year when it was so bad, but it didn't touch the pain. the one thing I found that did help with the pain, along with hot baths,and squatting on the loo instead of sitting, was to walk. I remember just walking for hours and the pain would go away, but after standing still for 5 minutes it would come back. The one positive thing was that I lost 2 stone last year !  I know everyone is different and my fissure was made active by the fact that I am VERY tight in "that area" . In fact the first Gp to ever examine me for this thought I had proctalgia fugax, or something like that, which is a tempory spasm of the anus, well my "temporary" spasm has lasted over 10 years !

Anyway, I wish you well and hope that some of what I have said may help you or any other sufferers.

Mark.

• Posted

Dear Mrsshah,

If I were you I would get the sphictoronomy surgery which is on the sphicter muscle. I had a bad fissure last  year and this  surgery helped me a lot. The sphicter muscle plays a large role in not allowing the fissure to heal on its own because the spasms do not allow the fissure tto heal. The only issue I had, if  you consider this an issue at all considering the amount of pain you have been in, is that after the surgery I do not  have as much control on whether I can stop my farts from coming  out in public  or not. Besides that, I have been doing great. I hope this helps and may you  have a good reccovery. I am very sorrry that you have to go through this because noone should  have to go through anything like thiis.

Myles 

• Posted

Mmarcus did u haf scarless surgery?? How did they cut ur muscles? M not concerned about loss of control at all from amount of pain m already in , i ll be happy as long as my fissure does heals, so they did not touch ur fissure at all?? My fissure heals but comes back because of my so tight muscles there sad n how was ur surgery can u tell me about ur surgery please? Pre op n post op? N how long it took to eal ur fissure please?? N is it completely gone now???
  • Posted

Sorry to hear yet another sufferer.  It is such a terrible thing and it is difficult to know what to to for the best.  To be enduring this while trying to care for a young baby is just horrible.

I had botox twice after nearly 4 and a half months of suffering, and that mostly sorted if for my inital chronic fissure.  I have had a few relapses, but they have healed with careful management.

Whatever you decide, dont let anyone fob you off with another cream etc.  You have suffered this for 19 months, and even if it is not bad on the day of your consultation, you know it will be bad again - you've probably gone around this cycle of hope many many times over the last year and a half.  If you are going privately they are less likely to fob you off.

It is interesting to hear what claire406 is saying about muscle function tests - I've not heard of those.  It might inform your decision about surgery rather than botox.

But I take at least one laxido every day (for years now) and if i supsect i haven't eaten enough fibre or drunk enough I take additional sachets.  They move water to my bowel much more effectively than just drinking litres of water.  When the fissure has reoccurred, I usually can work out what I have done.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but you are the person who is suffering so you need to be in control of the decisions.

• Posted

I had them too, after childbirth. Mostly from taking those prenatal vitamins with all that iron. I suffered with one for 1-1/2 years before I was finally able to heal it. Here was my regimen. 1). Four ibuprofen when the pain starts for about the first three days. (It eases the pain and stops the spasms. Four are prescription strength). Then I decreased the dossage to 3 for a few days, then 2, etc. 2). Eat about 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin every day. It should make the stools soft. If that doesn't work, get some mineral oil and drink about 3 tablespoons. It softens the stool and lubricates the passage to keep from ripping the fissure back open. It's messy though. Don't "pass gas" unless you are on the toilet or you'll have a mess. 3. Sit on a heating pad as much as possible, or soak in a hot tub. 4). Get Magnesium supplements from the vitamin section and take 2 or 3 each night before bed. Magnesium draws water from the intestines to keep you from getting constipated. You may need to decrease the dosage if you have diarrhea, or increase it if you're still constipated. I have taken magnesium since my fissure in 2003 and have rarely been constipated. It takes about 3 weeks for the fissure to be healed to the point that you can stop all the other stuff, but stick with the magnesium. You can't really OD on it, and most people are deficient in Magnesium anyway. 
  • Posted

Dear mrsshah,

I am also suffering from this problem last few months, now I am taking hot bath with some coconut oil and take some laxative powder like Sat Isabgol from Dabur Co. after dinner and moring in empty stomach. And also taking Homoeopathy Medicine, now I am quite normal but also worried. Using Coconut Oil keep soft my anal area so no problem arise when time of passing stool. I had also operated my piles 3 years back. you can do this and immediately consult with good Homoepathy Doctor to cure forever.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Mrs Shah,

I do have a solution to your problem:  there are pills called Daflon. They have them in 500 mg. If you can get these and take them one in the morning and one at night, your butt will heal like a miraculuous dream!

No surgery is needed.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.