12 month anniversary around the corner!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I hope that this post will help all you guys that are early on in your recovery.  My 12 month anniversary (Hallux valgus correction and scarf osteomy) is on Saturday and whilst I am still being careful about what I put on my feet, I barely think about my foot any more.  I did have an overuse complication about four months in when I got plantar fasciitis, but the exercises which I am still doing and new orthotics mean I am now pain free in the mornings.

I still get a slight swelling sometimes but this is getting rarer.  Because of the plantar problem, I expect that my full recovery will take a little bit longer than a year, but I have no regrets - I think that getting it out of the way in my 50s mean that I will not have chronic foot issues in my 70s.  I am able to do some work on the cross trainer in the gym now although I am advised not to run, and yoga has really helped to strengthen the bare foot by using it in its new 'shape'.

I will keep up with the forum, and as always, I wish everyone the best for speedy healing. The only advice I can give is the usual - don't overdo it, take your time, and try not to be superwoman/man - I know it is hard when others are depending on you, but do try to get as much help as you can to take the pressure off those feet!

7 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your encouraging post. The key thing in your post for me was the fact that 'you barely think about your foot anymore' For me just now (9 weeks) its all i think about from the minute i get up to going to bed. So its just good to know that it does get better. All too often, people post in these forums in the early stages and dont revisit. This probably is due to things moving on and getting better for people.
  • Posted

Good for you I am 16 weeks on and feel like I will never be able to do the things I did before the op. This of course is stupid and when I think of the progress I have made so far, it is amazing, but lets face it we all want to be running our homes, back to work full-time, digging the allotment and back at the gym. I am 52 and am heartened by your post thank you.
  • Posted

Am so glad you both found this helpful - I have been recalling what I was like this time last year - hobbling around, needing help to have a shower, etc. I hope you are making good progress. Did you get any exercises? I did not but have a look at [link removed] there is a good routine there for bunion surgery rehab. Best wishes, Caroline

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks post-op and I'm slowly feeling better. I never expected the healing process to be so long, no one tells you that! My feet are still swollen and I get the occasional soreness and feel as if my foot is being internally stretched, but I suppose that's part of the healing. I now know that it won't be months before I can wear a shoe.. I'm still in my post-op shoes and have decided to keep them on especially that my X-rays show that my bones are still not healed. I wish everyone a speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

I'm over a year post-op - 15 months to be exact - on my first foot and have to agree with you, Caroline. I rarely think of my foot except to admire how good it looks lol. I have no swelling and have been able to go back to running and the yoga has helped me as well to strengthn the foot and get back my balance. It  was so slow in the beginning and I was concerned from morning til night about it but now it all seems like a distant memory. That is until I decied to do the other foot 5 weeks ago and the memories are flooding back smile This time around doesn't seem so bad since it's my second time and I have a realistic idea of timelines and expectations. Hang in there and remember to add on activities to your day little by little and lisyten to your foot/feet. They will tell you if you're overdoing it.
    • Posted

Wow Melanie, you are so brave doing your other foot!  Mine is not painful so my surgeon agrees that we should 'leave well alone'!  I am so pleased you have had a good recovery.  

Another positive story I can share is that last week on holiday in Marseille I walked all the way up to the church at the top of the city - the only fatigue I felt was from the heat, the foot was fine.  I have no idea how many steps it took, but no way could I have done that three months ago!

• Posted

This is so lovely to read. I had first done in Feb and second in May this year. My first I don't think about much, although sadly it looks like I have a screw sticking out. Hoping to find out Monday. My second one was so much easier, I decided to do it before I lost the bottle. 
    • Posted

Congrats Caroline! All these milestones make for a very successful recovery. I found myself doing the same thing at 9 months and 12 months etc....just noticing how my life was slowly getting back to what it was before. I'm really excited to see the results on my second foot. I remind myself that the progress is slow but steady and I just need to keep on keeping on until I can reach new milestones. Today I'm happy with my short walk down the driveway to pick up the mail.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.