more help coming off please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

I have been on 225mg for nearly 5 years and had 1 failed attempt at coming off. I originally was taking 150 in the morning and 75 early evening as advised. This is my fourth week of 37.5 in the evening and the same 150 in the morning with no ill effects so where and when do i cut down next?

Anyone got any ideas because my GP has less knowledge than the people on here. In fact i'm advising him now!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian,

This is the only way to do it corectly. GP's don't know anything about coming off of this.

One thing i know for sure, is to NEVER just stop taking effexor completly.

You should ween yourself off VERY slowly. I have been on effexor for about 5 years now and i am slowly decreasing my dosages every 4 weeks by 10%. I virtually have no side effects. Since effexor only comes in certain dosages such as 37, 75, 150...... this is how i did it.

For example from 150 to 75 is waaaay to much of a jump you should only decrease at the most 10% every 4 weeks. I found a compounding pharmacist and he specialized in making the exact dosages that you require. I was on 75mg then i went down to 65, 55, 45, 35 and so on.

To me this is the ONLY way of doing it right with little side effects. The taking out beads in the capsules is the WORST think you can do because the pharmacist told me that not 1 bead is the same in the capsules, this is like yo yo ing with your brain/nerves. Never do this. Another bad thing is to take 1 capsule one day and not the next, again this is like yo yo ing with your brain/nerves, you will get really bad side effects with these 2 methods. Honestly doctors have no clue what we go thru coming off of these so i did my own extensive research and found out the best way that worked for me. I am not saying you won't get any side effects cause you will, but i was still able to go to work every day and function with my normal daily routine. Hope this helps someone. One more thing, to find a 'Compounding Pharmacist in your location, type in key words in to google like "componding pharmacist' with your state and city.

• Posted

Reduce slowly the day then night last. Done tjis a couple of times are you goung on to a new one. You should do this like over a mth the night one would be worse for sleep and how it impacts you in the day any reason that you want to come off them because i been on them for over 18 years these are my 3 lot and works well at end of day no diff to taking heart tabs diabetocs or iron tablets its for the good of your health and others aroynd you

• Posted

You should cut down like you are doing. Next try 150mg for a month each day .Then 75mg for a month each day

Then do a Lower dose for a month and stop. That is how I came off mine last time I did. Once you have stopped you will get brain zaps for a week and might feel dizzy sometimes. But after a week you should feel ok.

• Posted

im currently tamppering down from 300mg as advised by my pysciatrist first week 300mg, down to 150mg , next week 75mg , then finally down to 37.5mg then after that, i will be off them , but boy has it been hard.
    • Posted

Hi Peter.

Wow! That seems a mighty drop. Reading other experiences on here i thought i was coming down too quickly. Have you had any symptoms yet?. Halfway through my fourth week and had a strange tingling sensation today with a bad headache. If i had the nerve i would do as you are. Are you sure you physciatrist got it it right or are you winding me up?

• Posted

no im not winding you up, thats what the pyscitrist told me and tes ive had the tingling in my head dizzyness extreme anxiety but im gona see it through i just want to be of this drug asap ,because its caused me so many problems, all these doctors seem to give different advice , a dont think they really care just just seem to have no time for me.
  • Posted

Not surprising you have to coach the coach. I know one guy who told his GP about the side effects of one drug. The GP told him to see a different GP. Sometimes seeing a Pharmogolist ( spelled something like that ) they are Doctor level, without them knowing your problems . Let  them work backwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.