Just got diagnosed and going in this blindly. Please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 27 yr old female and had the bomb dropped that I have a over active thyroid. I have the medication Methimazole 5 mg. I have family asking me to look into a homeopathic route and avoid meds. I have a follow up appt. In ten days to see how my body reacts. I'm am truly freaked out because this is my first diagnosis in my life. I can look all this up via internet but everything says a different thing. What are the key foods to avoid and consume? I'm stuck rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think there's no need to panic, and no need to worry, relax and and enjoy your life. Overactive thryoid is 100% curable. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 3 months ago, but before that I had the worst symptoms ever. I'm a 37 years old male and I had my hyperthyroid for 2 years without knowing it. I started feeling worst July 2014, every afternoon after drinking coffee and soda both of my legs are weak and hurting, it's so hurt that I couldn't walk at all. My heart rate was 99 to 105 bpm, my blood pressure was 150 over 70, I'm awake until 4am and couldn't sleep, I lost 20 lbs (which I really like loosing weight). My physician immediately prescribed 20mg Propranalol twice a day for my hypertension, then after 1 month I'm taking 50mg PTU 4 times a day for my throid. Then 2 weeks ago my T3 and T4 levels are finally normal, now I'm taking PTU reduced to 3x a day with the same dosage. 

Now.. my problem is I'm gaining weight so fast.. in 3 months I gained 25 lbs.. I don't even eat too much.. well at least that's the only problem that I have.. I'm doing my blood works once a month to monitor my T3, T4, and TSH levels.. my only concern right now is my liver because of the medication. Doctor said no need to worry about that, it will go back to normal after I stop taking the medication.. which is 8 more months to go.. 

Remember, take your medication regularly, no need to panic.. it's not the end of the world. If you have problem with Methimazole later on then report to your doctor as soon as possible, they will replace it with a better one. I took Methimazole for 3 days and I had an allergic reaction.. my second medication is PTU which is fine, thanks to God.

Watch your diet, don't forget to pray, relax and take it easy. Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

• Posted

What sort of problems should I be reporting? I know that I should look this up but I like reading it from real people. Thank you for the support. It's lifted a tremendous amount of worry off my shoulders. <3>
  • Posted

5 mg Methimazole isn't much.  I think you are lucky they are treating you like that. 

I would just concentrate on having a generally healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, eating plenty of veggies, have some whole grains, protein sources with some milk and dairy, and eat fruit regularly.  Anything else could be taken sparingly if at all.

• Posted

Avoid Aspartame in soft drinks and other foods, also avoid sugar and gluten.  I had more success when I added supplements to my low dose of medication like Omega 3 and curcumin for inflammation, L-carnitine and then later Acetyl-L-Carnitine, magnesium and CoQ10.  Sounds like your values are not too much out of whack if they are only giving you 5 mg of Methimazole. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the tips!
  • Posted

Hi Vela

I'm new to all of this also. I still haven't seen the endocrinologist yet, it's a 3 month wait and I still have a month to go! I have been making a real effort to eat organic and clean. Plenty of greens and protein. I started on 15 mg of carbimazole daily , 3 times a day. It send my body into.overload! I ended up having a thyroid storm on the evening g of day 4 but felt awful from day 2. I was anxious, racing heart, falling to sleep on the spot and paranoid, but worst of all couldn't control my body temp. I've been on 5mg a day and will be now until I see the endocrinologist. The main thing is if you can manage to exercise that will help. I've put on a stone in a month and my diet is better than its ever been.

My family also wanted me to go down the natropath route. But to be fair, you don't have to be on these tablets for life. Your body will right itself with the tabs and you can assist with cleaning up your lifestyle. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.