My Husband Had An Achilles Tendon Rupture, He Died Of A Pulmonary Thrombo Embolism.

Posted , 10 users are following.

PLEASE read, " Avoidable DVT Death of my Husband. "....... Full leg cast, no safeguards, no warnings. If this helps just ONE person out there, then his death will not be in vain.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Titanium,

Thanks for the warning. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. They prescribed me a daily injectable blood thinner - tinzaparin. Hopefully this is a direct result of cases like your husband. They are also very clear on the warning signs of a DVT.

Kind regards

Sarah

• Posted

Thankyou. Any information you could give as to your injury, treatment, and medical location would be of value. I know we can`t name names, but a clue might be helpful.
  • Posted

So very sorry to read this awful news. I was also given daily injectables but no blood tests were ever done to make sure they worked.

In my opinion it's long past the time when we should be moving on from this archaic notion of plaster casts for total immobility for long lengths of times. It unnecessary now there are so many different types of boots available and it's time consultants upped their game with this.

Sending condolences. X

• Posted

Thankyou, to you and Sarah. I have been fighting this for almost 3 heartbreaking years. I won`t give up.

The last thing I want to do, is frighten people. I just wanted to raise awareness of the dangers, and the desperate need for risk asssessment. The only questions ever asked of my husband were.... name, address, d.o.b. and how did you get the injury? The pathologist at the inquest said that the trauma of the injury was enough to cause the clots, couple that with total immobilisation of his leg for the first 11 days. His chances of recovery were, in my opinion, vastly reduced. Had he been given Heparin, there is every chance he would still be here. Thankyou again.

• Posted

Would it be possible for you to give me some info as to the nature of your injury, treatment received and an idea as to the area where you got the treatment.?
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

I don't feel like my injury has been taken seriously. I was in a cast for 10 days before I saw an orthopaedic surgeon - that original cast was put on by a&e and I was given no information, just crutches and painkillers.

I saw the orthos almost a week ago. I was given a new cast and a prescription for blood thinners. I was also told I needed an URGENT ultrasound and that someone would call me. As of yet that has not happened. I actually wonder how urgent it has to be to get an appointment.

My orthopaedic surgeon also said I would most likely be in a cast for 12 weeks.

• Posted

Full or half casts? My husbands encased his entire leg.

They should have risk assessed you for DVT. which is a common

problem in people wearing casts for a prolonged amount of time.

You should have been given information as to the dangers and warning signs to watch out for. We were told NOTHING. This website gives info on DVT , I certainly don`t want to scare you, but you need to know what to be aware of so that you can protect yourself.

Chase up that ultrasound. Don`t ever be afraid to ask questions. Keep your own record of appointments, names of Clinicians etc.

And if ANYONE comes near you to "manually force " your foot into a walking position, scream at them to STOP !.

I am armed with all of this information....now that it is too late.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

I didn't take this as such a serious injury at first

The first time round it snapped Feb 2015 i had back slab cast in A+E but they didn't give me any fragmin 

I wasn't given any fragmin or told about DVT while in a boot

It re ruptured at 13 weeks i went back to A+E for back slab and they said I would need to go back on fragmin !

I said i didn't have any fragmin and don't even know what it is !

obviously i do now and reading of your loss has made me take DVT serious 

Andy 

• Posted

Hi Andy.

,Thankyou so much for your response. So sorry that you have had, not one, but two ruptures.

My husbands tragic death has spurred me on to pass on to people, all the information that in reality, is the job of the Clinicians within our hospitals. But as we both know, this is not being done.

Risk assessment for the potential need of anti coagulents, was made mandatory for ALL medical patients back in 2009. I only found this out recently.

Keep safe, be aware, pass your knowledge on, we will just have to do their job for them. Take care.Lyn.

• Posted

Hello - thank you so much for the awareness.  I also am very sorry to hear of your loss.  My elderly mother is having this surgery 1 march for a torn achilles tendon.  It sounds like a surgery that would come with little risks, but I decided to look into it and that is when I found your warning.  I hope her doctor has heard of this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.