graves disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there anything I can do to ease the graves disease?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Stress management tactics such as meditation and deep breathing.

Eat plenty of protein, avoid excess iodine, look out for it in multi- vitamins. Get your calcium and vitamin d intake up.

Be positive and calm. I cannot stress that enough.

Do your research before undergoing surgery or radiation or taking serious meds.

Graves' disease is an auto immune disorder that will be with you no matter what you do with your thyroid.

I have decided to de- chemical my life from foods to bath and beauty products to avoiding volatile compounds present in new mattresses. It seems to me that our immune systems are confused because we are literally poisoning ourselves.

Just a theory but I feel like going organic can't hurt, right?

• Posted

Thanks for commenting. I'm new to this disease. And I'm scared. Do u think stress really caused the graves?? My endercrenolo gist sucks. He's not very helpful. So basically avoid stress at all cost?? How long as u had it?
  • Posted

You don't give much information about your disease.  To have the best outcome, become an empowered patient.  Always ask for a paper copy of your lab results, keep your own file on them.  Post the results to Boards like this along with your lab's ranges for normal.  Add supplements like L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg, Magnesium 200 mg and Vitamin D, 1,000 to 5,000 mg as I and many other hyperthyroid patients have been found to be deficient in these.  Avoid Aspartame at all costs.  This is usually found in soft drinks and other foods.  Eat healthy, avoid sugar.
    • Posted

Thanks u so much. I wouldn't have found out if it wasnt for tgis goiter on my neck. So I dont no how long i have that graves upon my diagnosis. They have me on the methiamozole. 5 mg 4times a.day. so it seems the goiter has went down alot. So u suggest for me.to start taking those vitamins. I'll get them asap then. Linda do u no anything about a another type of doc called a internal medicine doc.
    • Posted

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener found in soft drinks and other foods.  You would have to look at the labels of all of your foods to see if it contains that. 
  • Posted

Also, if you are placed on a high dose of medication, there are medical papers that state that a low dose works just as well.  There are other techniques that help to go into remission like Add back therapy where you take a low dose of antithyroid meds and a low dose of thyroid replacement.  This is supposed to help lower your antibodies.
    • Posted

20 MG's of methiamozole is that high? What treatment did u go with. They wanted to do the RAI but I chose to take the pills. I'm really scared. Alpt of things I've been reading about is that a internal medicine doc is the best doc to go with. Because theyl actually dig and find out what's caused the graves. Other doc will just throw abunch of medication at u . internal doc will go deeper? Any thoughts on that ?
    • Posted

The disease is caused by your immune system attacking your body.  Graves disease is an autoimmune disease.  Functional medicine practitioners believe autoimmune diseases are caused by multiple factors like lifestyle, diet, environment etc.  Stress is a major trigger for Graves disease.
  • Posted

I recently found out that my condition is genetic. So it can't be completely lifestyle and diet. Although my family But I agree that they play a huge role on how well it (hyperthyroidism)is managed.

I am curious about L- carnatine.

Anyone care to elaborate on what it is, how it helps?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.