Ruptured my achilles on 4/25/15

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ruptured my Achilles on 4/25/15. This week will be 6 weeks post surgery. I am wondering what to expect next, in this annoying recovery. Were people walking at around 6 weeks or even before?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Erika, sorry to hear about your injury that i am sharing with you.

I also had my op the similar time to you 1/5/15 and was wondering the same thing. I am in a boot and have an appointment with the hospital this thurs. I believe they are going to be taking some wedges out. I presume i maybe able to put some light weightbearing with the boot?

I have also got to a stage that i am taking the boot off for an hour or so a day, to give it a breather.

However, i am really getting tired of it all now. So much preasure on the family as i cant do anything round the house and daily chores !!

Weve just gotta keep fighting - cant be too long for us :-)

• Posted

Thank you for responding, our timeline is very close to each other. I also go in Thursday, to see the Doc. Hopeing for some good news.

How did yours happen?

I relate to how annoying the boot is becoming, i tend to take it off as well when i am lying around.

Good luck at your appointment, I would like to hear whats next for you (if you dont mind), and see how your progress.

Keep your head up!

Erika

• Posted

Hi Erika

I did mine playing squash. I play(ed) very competitive county league squash and it probably got warn and weekened over the years..It ruptured in 2 places, one just below the muscle and one lower down at the heel. I have a huge scar!

I will pretend to people it was fighting off a great white shark :-) 

I

will keep in touch with you with how i am getting on. How ironic its thursday for you too.

fingers crossed

Dom

• Posted

Should of said "an injury i am sharing with many! :-)"

• Posted

Hi Erica. Hope your appointment went well, how did it go?

For me they took 3 wedges out and made my foot more level (gave me a brand new boot). They suggested i can take steps in my boot to strengthen the tendon. I am left with 3 wedges and i need to take one out every week and have a further appointent in 4 weeks with the hope of taking boot off. following that i will have physio. Thats the plan. 

I am very nervy putting my foot down with walking boot with the fear of re-rupture. I have no idea if this has ever happened to anyone at this stage but have that fear factor. Lets see what happens next. :-)

• Posted

Im glad that you had some progress! How many wedges did you start with?

I was given the okay to put some weight down and walk with the support of the crutches. It was pretty painful. And im a bit swollen now. But it felt nice to walk with two feet!

I am nervous as well, but my doc was pretty confident that as long as its gradual there is no re tare.

Im sure in a few weeks you wont be as nervous

• Posted

Hello Erika.I don`t wish to be unkind, but have you read fully " Avoidable DVT Death Of My Husband ",

He didn`t have surgery, 1 A/E visit and 2 Outpatients. After what they did to him, he never got the chance to walk.

I hope someone can help you with your question and you make a full recovery.

• Posted

I think I owe you a sincere apology. I thought it was you who had sent the post, have only just realised .... it was the website. So sorry.
    • Posted

How is it possible in this day and age, for someone to die after an achilles rupture. Thanks to their negligence, he did.

Thankyou so much for your kind words.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this unexpected and horrible loss.
  • Posted

Hi Erica we appear to be on an almost identical time line OP 26 April, two backslabs with no weight bearing at all for 16 days(trauma clinic is on tues) then in a fibre glass cast x 3 until the 9th June, I was light weight bearing for a week then waliking around the house in the cast for the rest of the time without crutches, didnt go outside very much at first as the overshoe kept slipping and it was very uncomfotable, I live in Malvern which is very hilly and I was very tiring to get anywhere. I have been in an Airboot for a week walking almost normally, I take it off every evening and do not sleep in it and I can walk reasonably well without the boot for short periods like getting p in the morning to go to the bathroom as long as I dont stretch the tendon to much, the surgical scar is from mid calf to heel and is healing nicely just one scab about the size of a penny, start Physio on Thurs this week and back to trauma clinic in 4 weeks. I am very pleased with progress, I had a partial rupture March 2014 followed by conservative (vvirtually no treatment in Thailand) followed by complete rupture 15 weeks later, I had to wait until I got back to UK in Feb before any further  treatment, the insurance company refused to cover it as Thailand was under military law post Army coup considered to be force majeurre and therefor all bets are off, didn't stop them taking the premium tho'. Keep going and use you boot to walk abourt as much as you can without pain, try to stand a little without the boot using support at first and light pressure on your foot and gradually increase the pressure without feeling pain. It will feel very tight, when you are sitting down with your foot elevated try circling your toes and doing light stretches. I have just stopped taking Heparin injections as anti DVT treatment which I have been on since day 1 post op. i am resonable fit and 66 years old, Try not to get down, a postive outlook is very important in recovery, It will get better.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your story and your recovery. It's amazing how many people share this injury. Thanks for the suggestions, and the positive out look reminder. I hope you are keeping up your head as well.

Erika

• Posted

Started physical therapy today. Lost of swelling and stiffness. But another milestone complete. Keeping postitive and looking forward.
    • Posted

Great news Erica. Are you taking steps in air boot without crutches? I am very nervy about putting full weight bearing down at the moment.
    • Posted

Yeah been walking with the boot and the crutches. Very little muscle memory. So im nervous about not having the crutches. I have 5 exercises to do daily. One is shifting 50 % of my weight on to the injured leg. Hold it for 30 sec 5 times a day. That makes my foot swell like a balloon. Lots of ice and persistence. Im supposed to be out of the boot next week....that scares me.

Are you doing some exercises as well?

• Posted

I wasn't told this however I am keen to follow your regime. My boot aparantly is coming off 9th July. A lot later than you. I tore mine in 2 places. One rupture and one tore so I guess a bit more time is needed? Sorry to hear about swelling. I tend to get that in my toes if I do not rest. It's all horrible really. But light at end of the tunnel ; -)

Keep me/us posted

Many thanks Dominic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.