Migraine - Using Magnesium Supplement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Migraine sufferers, I currently take Feverfew daily, Amytriptiline (10 mg) nightly (to help sleep) and have just started to take Magnesium to help my migraine? 

I have previously tried all the Triptans, Betablockers and one other (which promotes eating and weight gain - cant remember the name now). The migraines had been under control but have crept in again over the warmer months this year, could be the pressure (I dont get as many during winter).

Does anyone else use Magnesium and what are your thoughts on it, as I have just started to take that? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i take butterbur and magnesium, they dont seem to do much for me.  But its worth a try I always say to get some relief!  Good luck and God Bless
  • Posted

Hi AJ,

Your the third person today who has talked about magnesium .I have not tried it so far but will ask my consultant when I see him next month.Fever few and Amitriptiline didn't do anything for me but I have HM that's migraine with aura and hemeplegia .triptans are not recommended for those with HM

it can make it worse.Good luck with the magnesium and keep in touch.yvonne

• Posted

Hi I have been taking Magnesium since January; butter bur and feverfew; but nothing seems to work; I think its re bound migraines no cure I did cupping worked for 5 days; then tried again had 3 week break; thinking to try again

• Posted

what is cupping? Is it a form of massage?  I am trying acupunture again...had first session last week
    • Posted

So sorry for late reply, it is similar to acupunture,

I did the Islamic cupping, where blood is drawn, their is chinese cupping knowm as dry cupping.

The first time I felt, quite sore and disorientated but worked both times, wish I had kept it up

• Posted

I also take magnesium daily and didn't give it any thought on its influence on migraines. I take it to prevent cramps.

Interesting!

Does anyone else take 'sodium volprate' and did you suffer side effects?

joan

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments, I share your pain. 

We just have to keep trying everything.  I keep a diary of my migraines, I get them more when I havent slept well or near my cycle.  I have tried all sorts cutting out diary, wheat, bread, pasta, alchohol, chocolate, cheese, the lot, it is definately not food related. 

I will keep up the herbal remedies, magnesium is meant to be a muscle relaxant (like Amytriptiline). 

I find the cool packs are good, that you peel off and stick on your forehead |(you get from chemists).

Good luck everyone with their fight to conquer migraines!

• Posted

Yes, I take magnesium glycinate as one of my herbal supplements as I don't tolerate prescription meds. It is one of the most absorbable forms. According to my neurologist, migraine sufferers are typically low on magnesium. I also take feverfew, butterbur and 5htp as preventative care. There are many many migraine triggers and each person is unique so we each have to figure out which ones we are sensitive to. Mine include hormone imbalance, certain foods, weather changes, bright lights and noise, lack of sleep, and stress. I also use meditation/prayer and other stress relieving techniques to keep me calm and centered.  Hang in there and keep trying things to you figure out a combination that works for you. Hope this helps. Patricia
    • Posted

Thanks Patricia, I may try butterbur as well, if I dont get any joy from the magnesium.  I fear the recent warm/humid weather has set mine off again.  I suffer with weather changes and tiredness and stress as well, also, menstral cycle.  I dont think any food triggers it as I have been keeping a migraine diary for years.  I hope you are managing to keeping yours to a minimum. All the best
  • Posted

For a while I was taking magnesium with tzanadine and the headaches were still daily but lessened in the frequency through the day. Unfortunately, both medicines including the magnesium would give me such terrible stomach cramps that I couldn't sleep. I tried everything in addition to it including protein shakes, supplements and just forcing myself to eat more and later. I managed to put on a couple of pounds but after 7 weeks of only getting 2 hours of sleep a night my neurologist took me off it.

However, side effects differ for everyone. If you have already been taking it for a few days you would know of any side effects and if you aren't feeling any then let it help you but keep in mind that your doses may need to change based on the other medicines you are taking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.