Withdrawals help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

For those of you that are off Effexor how long do the brain delay feelings , tiredness, brain zaps last ? I was on it for 10 years 150mg and tapered down . Day 9 with nothing. I read Benadryl helps and omega 3 . Anyone have experience with these helping? I'm so tired and just want to feel normal in my head.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Some people on this forum have felt that fluoxetine helps with venlafaxine withdrawals.  One source suggested duloxetine.
    • Posted

Hi Jim yes I just read that now-they call it the bridge effect - then you wean off of that too but it's easier.Withdrawals from Effexor are a night mare!i just want a clear head and to be able to function but I'm determined this time to beat it .Thanx for your help .
    • Posted

I took nothing whilst I was tapering from Effexor and I did not get any withdrawals.  I took my time and tapered over 10 months and  that way was fine.  I have always taken Omega 3 and still do.  20 months since I stopped Effexor after being on anti depressants for 30 years.

Do it slowly, really slowly, and you wont get withdrawals.  It won't be a nightmare if you do it slowly.  I have withdrawn cold turkey in the past, and depression returned, but the way I did it last time I got no withdrawals at all.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks thats really good advice.

I tapered a little two quickly and i'm now off for a couple of days. my new process (agreed by GP)

day 1 - 1/2  37.5 tablet morning 1 37.5 at night

day 2 - 1 37.5 tablet morning 1 37.5 at night

I'm going to get back into the gym too! Any advice would be appreciated

• Posted

Hi Anne, I've just read your reply to Linda about withdrawal of Venlafaxine ! I have decided to come of these as I've piled on so much weight and I cannot lose it and it's making me miserable ! I've been on A/D for 30 + years Venlafaxine from approx 1995 ish! Would you recommend I take omega, will thus help me? 

Thanks for reading

• Posted

I was on 150mg Effexor for 9 years and it took me 10 months to withdraw so I did not get any withdrawals.  This way I did not experience any.  Must be done slowly, if done too fast you will get withdrawals.  The longer you are on Effexor, the longer you should take to withdraw.  I recommend you do what I did and do it over about 10 months.  I promise if you do it right you will get no withdrawals at all.  Most people do it too fast and that is why they get withdrawals.
  • Posted

Hi Linda,  I was also on 150 for over 10 years, it's day 12 since I stopped after cutting down.  I read that the worst of withdrawls should decline or cease in 10 to 14 days.  This seems to be the case with me so far as things started improving 2 days ago.  I still have alot of the symptoms but the worst have settled and I am seeing that light at the end.  Iv'e been taking lots of fish oil & multi Bs and drinking lots of water which have made a big difference.   I would really like to know how you are doing now?   
    • Posted

Hi Annette- it's getting to be tons better . Side effects are just a bit of foggy head and since starting magnesium my aches and pains are less.I sleep great.Day 19 and I am so hopeful!Im rather moody but I know I need to learn to take it easy and not let everything bother me.How are you feeling ?
    • Posted

Hi Linda,  My last few days have been a bit of a set back but thankfully today has been a lot better.  I felt really lousy with the flue like symptoms and absolutley no interest in or capable of doing anything, plus mild migraine symsptoms.  I am back on top of it today and feeling postive with the knowledge that although I am bound to have setbacks things will improve with time!  The best medicine is a positive attitude and not to dwell to long on withdrawl symptoms as they will pass and do.  Today I have tried to do too much as I was feeling better and as a result I am about to fall asleep or passout whilst typing this, you know that strange feeling in the head. So I will go have a little nap to recharge the battery smile  

• Posted

I am a week Venlafaxine free tomorrow and the withdrawals are awful. Pure dizzy, woozy, blurred vision, tired, irritable, emotional, sad, depressed, mood swings. The list is endless.

Never experienced anything like this with any drug before and I've been on Lexapro, Prozac, Lyrica to name a few. This drug is poison and never helped with my anxiety hence why I withdrew.

Am taking 2 x 25mg Lyrica to help with withdraw but not helping so taking Xanax an Valium which help a little

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.