gerd? acid reflux? peptic ulcer? please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

after eating mostly,,i have a tightening in my esofagus,,then,,after about 5 minutes,,its gone,can anyone give any insite to this,,id really appreciate it,,thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not heard of that symptom before, at least not associated with GERD.  Usually, a person with GERD would experience burning in the esophagus. Alongside the esophagus is the windpipe or trachea, which could also produce symptoms.

If this continues, or it interferes with breathing, you should see your physician right away.

• Posted

This could be a mild oesophageal spasm. Possibly linked, or an independent issue could be some motility/peristalsis weakness in the oesophageal muscles.

A manometry test should show if you have any problems in the throat. The test shows the motility (muscular strength) of your oesophageal muscles and any breaks or weaknesses in peristalsis down the throat.

Your GP wouold probably need to refer you to a department of gastroenterology at a hospital for a full assessment. That department then may ask for a manometry test if they feel that is indicated in your case.

I would not put off discussing this with your GP.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

I would agree with nfa.  Also, some people have esophageal pockets called Esophageal Diverticula.  When a person eats, then food gets stuck in the pockets and you can feel it.  Many years ago I had a problem when I would eat, it felt like it was stuck in my throat, then I would drink water and I could feel the wad of food move down and go into my stomach with some pain.  Eventually, I learned to drink more often when eating, and the problem went away.

Keep us informed as to your progress.  Regards, Jonathan.

• Posted

today i really watched what i ate all day,,started with 2 pieces of toast,,and tea shortly after at work,i started getting like minor cramps in the stomach,after a short time,,they went away,,and i have been eating very lightly all day,i have not had any tighting in the asofagus,,seems like when i eat,say a sandwich,chips,,shortly after,the assoagus flares up,,and calms down after say 15 minutes,,going for a stress test tuesday,,,thats all for the imput,really appreciate it !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.