Does anybody work while on risperidone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Am worried about going back to work as I am on risperidone and in the morning I am sedated and dizzy. I can't imagine working on an antipsychotic as I feel sedated.

Do you get used to working on antipsychotics?

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi louise79427.

I used to work whilst on Quetiapine, which is another medication used as a mood stabiliser that is an antipsychotic. Short-term answer is that you should get used to working on it, but it is advisable to get used to doing stuff at home first and also speak to your workplace about medications you are on - most are more happy to know someone is taking meds and may have problems adjusting to the meds whilst working. Also I would say first and foremost talk to your GP about getting a note to phased return to work.

If the meds are making you really tired after being on them for a few weeks at the dosage you are on now they may need to adjust them to a lowest dose possible, whilst still helping your diagnosis.

I hope this helps! All the best. X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My son was completely unable to function on respiradone, but on aripiprazole (Abilify) he is managing just fine. If you hate the way it makes you feel you may be better suited to a different med. They don't really know how or why different ones work for different people, but Abilify works completely differently from respiridal. Believe your own mind & body.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

He started on 5mg for a week, then up to 10mg. The difference is remarkable. He was totally flattened in every aspect by respiridal: sleeping 12+hours, no desire for anything, gained 13kg in 26 days, couldn't exercise due to the aches & pains & lethargy, foggy thoughts, slow mental processing... This went on for almost 3 months after he stopped it but the metabolic dysregulation it caused is still affecting him (elevated prolactin, triglycerides, LDL, weight gain etc). Fingers crossed that the Abilify suits you a lot more too. Quality of life is everything & a medication that makes everyday a chore is not an option.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It would be good if they could do some sort of testing before prescribing so that the most suitable drug could be trialled. My guess is that it will be genetic testing in the future...He was unable to get out of bed before noon on the respiridal, but after just 10 days on the aripiprazole he is again exercising, looking forward to his days & making plans for the future. 

My guess Louise is that you are likely to have a similar positive experience. Love to hear how you're doing in a few weeks. Warmest wishes for some quality living really soon x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It would be good as we are all different and what works for one person doesn't for another. I feel much more optimistic now as I was worried about going back to work feeling so flat and sedated. Am glad your son is doing so well, it sounds like a much better drug.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up