Brucellosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, are there any people out there that have suffered with brucellosis, that has appeared to have gone away, but after many years has resurfaced again, if so what are the symptoms that you are suffering, and have you had a further diagnosis. I have suffered musculoskeletal pain for some years now, as I am no longer in the practice I was with when I was first diagnosed, my current practice Drs just say no way. But my consultant at the time said it could return even years later. I was 17 at the time, I am now 68

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I believe about ten per cent of people with brucellosis experience a relapse, but that is usually within a year or so. One lady had a relapse after twenty eight years which was considered some sort of record, so I suppose it is possible. Do you think what you have really is a brucellosis relapse or something else? 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, the reason, for the past 8 years approximately I've suffered from musculoskeletal pain, especially in kneck and shoulder areas, stomach, ( which was what I had when first diagnosed) fatigue and more, I have had MRI scans, CT scans and numerous blood test for everything under the sun, but never to check for brucellosis every test I have had comes back as ok, the last was some two weeks ago" mention brucellosis to my GP and he practically laughs at me. He went as far as to say it was in my head, my reply to him was, if I'm as well as you say, I should be out there jumping over five bar gates, instead of feeling as I do.
    • Posted

I had neck and shoulder pain with fatigue and was told it was a virus, it carried on and eventually was diagnosed as PMR - polymyalgia rheumatica. I had no stomach problems though, although my thighs became painful too later on. 
    • Posted

Have no pain in thighs, but in knees, I do know, from the consultant, when I was first diagnosed years ago brucellosis affected people in different ways, mine was mainly stomach, vomiting and loss of appetite, because of this I lost quite a bit of weight. On my discharge from hospital, I did meet someone who had been diagnosed after me, he told me it affected his joints elbows, kneck shoulders ect so much so he practically seized up, his words to me where he though he was going to die.
    • Posted

My mother had brucellosis when I was very young. I remember she was not at all well with it. If your doctor does not think it is brucellosis what does he diagnose? I think one problem is they don't like patients putting their ideas forward.
    • Posted

Brucellosis makes you feel really ill, my Drs just put it down to spondylitis one even told me it's in my head, and that brucellosis it's definitely not, but like I said I've had every test under the sun, that is everything but a blood test for brucellosis, knowing how, how old was your mother when she contacted this, and could I ask how?mine was because my sister owned a dairy farm at the time, and I had been going down to help on the farm from the age of seven, has your mother had any relapses at all?
    • Posted

My mother was in her thirties. We lived next to a farm in the country and had cows using a field we owned.
    • Posted

My mother never had a relapse.
    • Posted

Pleased to here your mother is ok now, goes to show how easily this illness can be picked up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.