Globus Pharyngeus??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been experiencing an awful painless but ANNOYING lump sensation in my throat for about 2 weeks now. This sensation is on and off. I do suffer from bad heartburn and indigestion and after reading more into it it seems to be a reflux problem?

This lump sensation is driving me crazy!!! Nothing seems to help or ease it. I have tried gaviscon and Zantac but i am still left with this feeling! sad

Has anyone had this before? and if so have they any methods to help this while i wait on a doctors appointment as where i live they take a while to get an appointment!

HELP!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have been suffering from globus sensation for over a year now and am trying various things to alleviate the symptoms. Most recently I have been experimenting with oil pulling which whilst doesn't really help the globus element, it has however eased the soreness I was experiencing from constantly swallowing so much to shift 'the something stuck in my throat' sensation. I was getting ulcers from the reflux coming into my throat and back of my mouth and the oil pulling greatly speeded up their healing. I am also trying a nasal spray ( Mometasone Furote) prescribed by my GP to help alleviate  the globus sensation in my sinuses. It's early days with this so can't speak about its efficacy. I'm also thinking about trying digestive enzymes to see if these have any impact on the globus sensation. Will post again if I do.
  • Posted

This is very common so far as I can see. Try drinking 300mls of coconut water with no added sugar each morning. There. Aee many other things but this is an easy one to try first that cant hurt you I believe.
    • Posted

Okay Thank you for your reply. I will try this and see how i get on! Hopefully it will work! 

Zoe 

• Posted

Hi.  I get that fairly often but I have Achalasia, a rare swallowing disease marked by my lower esophageal sphinkter not relaxing (opening) regularly to let food pass into the stomach.  Another feature of this disease is the loss of peristalsis (the muscular wave like movement that pushes the food downwards).  You can also have weakened peristalsiis with other motility disorders, not just Achalasia.  You may have a motility issue of some kind going on.  Either that, or possibly the relux has irritated your esophagus which could also slow things down.  The globus feeling is usually related to food and water not moving down easily.  Do you have any regurgitation?  It's good that you're seeing your doctor (it should be a gastroenterologist).  They should give you the answers you need to get effective treatment.  
  • Posted

Hi I suffer from the same thing as you , like a lump in my throat, the feeling of choking, its quite annoying cos all doctors Iv been to seem to turn me down and wont get me a referral, Iv been feeling like this for 3 weeks now and still not a positive outcome, I dont think these doctors realise how much pain Im in, and seem to brush it off like nothing; - while they are brushing this off Im actually suffering. and in pain.Sorry I couldnt help though there are some other posts which I follow on facebook to do with Acid reflux and they suggested that Digestive Bitters could be Good for indigestion and reflux etc;.
    • Posted

I agree with  the use of digestive bitters. i suffer from globus pretty much.i believe that our body needs this . the more bitter , the better.I tried eating bitter melon omellette and for some reason i would feel good, completely asymptomatic from globus. now i truly understand  that symptoms of a digestive system looking for  bitters include bloating,flatulence and constipation which in itself indicates low acid production. as we age,stomach -acid production drops and this alone inhibits proper absorption of protein, iron and Vit B12.
    • Posted

Aryt, I don't understand why you cant get a referral especially since you say all doctors. How many doctors are you talking about and were these GP's ??

My GP didn't give me a referral until I asked him for one. Naturally, a good GP needs to try all the obvious stuff but they have to refer you after a while unless they can give a good reason for not referring you, I would have thought. What have they said to you?

• Posted

Hi. I guess the best thing to do is a decent diet and increasing the amount of liquid - drinking more water. And also not to worry too much! This is a sensation that will stay if you focus on it and it might go away if you just try focusing on other things. It is basically a spasm  and less stress you will have in your life less it will be or it might as well disappear if combined with the mentioned above by other guys methods...
  • Posted

Hi,

I too have had the same problem!  My main symptom of acid reflux was a lump in the throat feeling and it felt like food was sticking on the way down.  I have been on a mainly liquid diet since January!  The heartburn went straight away after starting on PPI's and I am now still on Lansoprazole 1x 30mg per day.  It has very slowly got a bit better and am trying bits of soft wet foods to start with.  At my worst I struggled to get water down!  After taking the Lansoprzole table that melts on your tongue mine seemed to get better.

What medication are you on?

Are you still able to get food down?

Amanda.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.