Am I STILL in withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I took venlafaxine for about 18 months for anxiety and depression. I'd previously been on Citalopram for about 6 years.

I was on 225mg of Venlafaxine. If I ever missed a dose I got withdrawal symptoms immediately - particularly the horrific brain zaps. I didn't know what the hell they were. I thought I was going crazy. Trying to explain the sensations was like trying to explain what blue tastes like. I finally figured it out with the help of Google.

For me they are in my head, spine and hands. Accompanied by a wave of anxiety and a sensation that I guess is like vertigo. It's just horrendous. To say it's like electric shocks is nowhere near. It's everywhere in my body and totally horrific.

Then around Christmas 2014 I started getting withdrawal symptoms even if I didn't miss a dose. It felt as though the venlafaxine had stopped working and I hit a serious episode of depression. I saw my shrink and he gave me two choices - up my dose or swap. I chose to swap to duloxetine.

I weaned off venlafaxine and onto duloxetine over the course of about a month. It was hell. I was suicidal. If it weren't for my family and lorazepam I'd probably have ended up in hospital again.

I've been off Venlafaxine for close to 3 months now. Periodically, I'm still getting the brain zaps as well as horrific mood swings and a myriad of other things that could be depression/anxiety or could be withdrawal...is it possible I'm still in withdrawal all this time later?

I'd really appreciate any advice. I feel like I'm going crazy. I struggle to explain why it's so bad - what the sensations are like. I'm so depressed and so anxious, but other times I'm really ok. But then it comes back. I'm so volatile. It's putting a strain on my relationships and my job. I'm scared to death and my GP and shrink don't seem to understand or to help. Is this withdrawal or something else? If it is withdrawal how long will this last?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Ariadnebee ,  im currently coming down, from 300mg to zero, i have heard this Venlafaxine  can stay in your body for uptill a year after discontinuing , so maybe it is still the withdrawls, ive never found my doctor or shrink any good with withdrawl advice so maybe this is common.  im also having lots of head zaps etc so i guess ive just got to try and see it through, these effects if they are side effects will pass and i would be great for us to move on . Just a question why dont you ask to see another doctor or Shrink?
    • Posted

Hi Peter, thanks so much for replying. I actually went to see my GP today. He was very sceptical that this is being caused by withdrawal after 3 months and insisted it's likely to be panic attacks. My shrink is more approachable but not that clued up on this drug. I've now been prescribed Propanalol to help with the 'anxiety.' I read elsewhere that Omega 3 and vitamin B12 can help with the brain zaps so I've got the supplements now too.

I've bwen given two options by the GP - go back on vanlafaxine or wait it out. There's no way in hell I'll ever go back on it. I'm finding the internet far more helpful. Rather than asking to see another shrink, I may ask mine to look into these side effects and maybe consult his colleagues - it's something he's done before.

Best of luck to you with coming off - I hope the withdrawal starts to get better soon for you. Are you changing to another drug or coming off ADs all together?

• Posted

I was thinking of coming of coming of antidepressiants all together might still do , but i have been going through a though time in my relationship at the moment so i guess i might have to go back to my gp to see what advice they can offer first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.