Heller's recovery and exercise?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had my Heller's Myotomoy (with partial wrap) coming up for 4 weeks ago. (My surgeon and treatment at Ninewells hospital Dundee, Scotland was excellent) The incisions are healing well and I'm back at work and life feels quite normal. 

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on post-operative exercise, e.g. cycling and gym visits? I was a regular gym visitor and cyclist prior to the operation. I've been walking my dog lots, and went for a short bike ride on Sunday with my daughter. All felt good. I'm now considering some very gentle gym visits. 

What are other's peoples experiences with exercise post Heller's?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am pleased to hear everything is going well for you.

You really need to check with your GP before considering going

the gym.

When I had my surgery I was told it would take 6 weeks before

I could excercise so 9 weeks after surgery I went up to the lake

district for a week thinking it would be fine.

A couple of times I had to do some lifting and was also carrying a back pack everyday and also lots of walking.

A couple of times I had slipped and fell over but I felt fine but on

day 7 I started to get lots of pain where the incisions were and

as soon as I got back I spoke to my gp and the hospital and both

said if I had told them what I was planning they would have

advised me against it and my gp said that although the external

incisions had healed the internal ones take a lot longer to heal.

You have to remember that the muscles have been cut and also

Your major organs have been moved in order to get to the op

site and my gp said it can take up to a year before everything

has settled and healed internally.

It took another month of strong pain killers for the pain to settle

and I was so annoyed as I didn't need them after the surgery.

if I was told all of that before I would never have tried to do the

things I did.

And now 3 years on I still can't lift anything really heavy.

So please make sure you check first and don't risk causing

damage just because the external cuts are healed.

• Posted

Thanks ducky1. Firstly, sorry that you had to find out about the recovery period the hard way. I guess that's what I'm trying to avoid. Thank you very much for your advice, it makes a lot of sense. I'm perhaps guilty of trying to do too much too early. 

I wanted ask on here first before seeking professional advice as we all know how busy the nhs is. I think I'll give it a few weeks, then seek the Doctor's opinion.

Thanks again.

• Posted

I had a modified Hellen myoto my a year and a half ago and have been able to resume all activities as I was doing before. I wasn't a regular gym goer but am quite active physically at home, in my garden and at my part time job. If you're feeling good, go for it!
    • Posted

I was just re-reading your note again David... I thought you said you were 4 months postoperative instead of 4 weeks. 4 weeks is pretty early to resume anything seriously physical at the gym. 1Ducky is correct in telling you that your internal healing will take longer to heal. 6-8 weeks recovery time is the general rule postop abdominal surgery. By 4 months you should be able to do the things you were before. (With a cautious return to weight lifting).

I followed this advise myself and have been able to return to many of the activities that I was accustomed to doing before.

• Posted

Thanks Greeka. I think I am being a bit optimistic to think that after just 4 weeks I can return to some of things I was doing. I'll definitely give it a few more weeks. I wouldn't be doing weight lifting etc, it's more aerobic type exercise I do. Even so I'll definitely hold off for the moment. Will keep just walking the dog. Fresh air and canine company is great for the soul!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.