Switch from citalopram to escitalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone I am switching in morning from citalopram to escitalopram and wondering because they are same type of salt would I have to go through side effects again I am switching from citalopram 10  to escitalopram 10 which I know is equivalent to 20mg citalopram for anxiety and depression have anybody had any experience your help will be appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi why you switching ?
    • Posted

Because I can't tolerate 20mg of citalopram side effects and Dr said that take escitalopram 10mg is equivalent of that so after 4 weeks on citalopram 10mg he has switched me to10mg escitalopram 
  • Posted

Escitalopram is more potent than Citalopram. They have very similar side effect profiles and mechanism of action and although it's impossible to say for sure, I wouldn't expect you to have the same reaction if you switch over. As Escitalopram is advanced version (pure form) of Citalopram, it is expected to work faster and cause fewer side effects.
    • Posted

I had so many more effects on escitalopram am only on 5 mg want to get to 10 but not brave enough
  • Posted

I don't know if I ever get back to my old self 4 weeks of fighting negative thoughts and depression ,anxiety I am fed up and really feeling hopeless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.