five weeks post op swelling

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there, can i just ask..... i had a double bunion removal and hammer toe corrected five weeks ago... stitches out and i have taken the dressings off for the air to get to wound which is fine, no weeping and no infection all very dry.  while my feet are up its ok still very sore and swollen but ok... When i have to have a shower or even just to make myself a cup of tea the foot with the pin in swells up so much and becomes very tight and painful... has anyone had this and is it normal... i am due for pin to be taken out on the 29th and hope its the pin being present that is still causing this... my other foot is healing quite nice, also with the foot with pin it feels very swollen underneath and painful to walk... thank you everyone who takes time to read and reply x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi gilly I had bunion surgery and two hammer toes done (with implants) and another hammer toe done with a pin ( but only for two weeks) five weeks ago. My ftoot looks similar to yours and yes I have the swelling underneath toes as well. Feels like a ball under them. Sounds like it is because of the hammer toe correction that is causing the swelling. I assume you just had bunion done in the other foot?. I am still using the walkerboot to go outside and will be going into trainers (a size or two bigger than usual) in a week when I hit the six week post op mark. I think that we will have to put up with the swelling for some time. Wish you all the best!
    • Posted

hi john, thank you for your kind reply, yes bunion done on other food and bunion done with hammer toe on other.. i really thought i was progressing but as soon as i do anything the swelling starts, but i must confess i have not been using the black boots just walking on my heels, but i have not been out, i have only been walking to toiliet, kitchen and to have a shower.... i will wear the boot when i do eventually go out, they dont really tell you any of this john do they prior to have the surgery...my surgeon made it sound very simple.. yer have it done go home same day and just rest, no mention of the burning, swelling, throbbing, stabbing pains it brings, but i guess no surgery is pain free..... ohoooo bring on the good day please !!! thanks once again john you have been so helpful x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly no problem. My pleasure. I think it helps a lot us sharing experiences with this foot surgery lark as I have found it an ordeal(being virtually immobile and the swelling!). I think it is definitely the case that the more surgery you have done on a foot the more swelling you get i.e. with bunion and one or two hammer toes done. I think it is the hammer toe surgery that causes that swelling under the toes that is like a ball under one's toes!. Anyway I keep consoling myself that I am five weeks past the op and past the awful miserable stage of immediately after the op when I for one was really down! Living on my own made it even harder but then I wasn't in the mood for seeing people anyway. Anyway Gilly we are getting there and soon it will be another five weeks down the line and hopefully the swelling will be less. All the best wishes and lots of luck in your recovery. 
    • Posted

hi john.... ohoooo i must say how on earth are you coping living on your own, being immobile is awful and i too have been really down with the whole thing... i been down memory lane... all the things i should of done and did not.... things i should of said and did not.... its been a mind game journey with the added pain of these feet so i do so understand where you are coming from.. but i did have my partner here to help....  i can relate to having people around you, i did not want any visitors at all i was not in the mood for small talk, just wanted to rest and deal with the pain... lets hope john when we are completely recovered we are out and about and enjoying life again... there will be no stopping me i cant wait to get out even if only to drive out for coffee and abit of people watching lol.... take care john x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly, yes it's completely normal.  It takes a long time for the swelling to go completely, maybe even up to a year.  But you will notice an improvement week by week.  Just keep elevating and icing when you can.  It's nearly six months since my op and my foot is still slightly swollen, especially at the end of the day or if I've been standing for a long time.  But I'm not getting the pain I had with my bunion and I'm able to walk and really stride out.  The painful swelling under my foot that you describe has 90% gone. Judy
    • Posted

hi judy... thank you for reply.... so helpful to me, its so reassuring to hear its normal i always think something is wrong... prob think silly thoughts because not much else to do at the moment with the resting stage... i am sure ill be back on here again to ask yet another question... i wish you well x and thank you once again for advice which is soooooooo appreciated.
  • Posted

HI gilly, I have had the same op as you  (bilateral scarf/akin plus 1 toe straightening with pin) and am 4.5 weeks post op. The foot which I've had more surgery on (the one with the pin) is swelling up more and is generally more sore than the other. So, it sounds a lot like your situation. I am on track with my recovery. So, I would say that your symptoms are pretty much what is to be expected during receovery.
  • Posted

Hey gilly smile

I think after you get the pin taken out your foot will start to feel a little better. I don't think I had the same surgery as you, but I had to have the pin removed after my bunion sugery because it was just too painful. Thankfully after it was out my foot started feeling a lot better. Different people react to things differently but hopefully your foot starts feeling better after the removal of your pin. Good luck!

• Posted

HI gilly, I agree with nge. When my toe pin was in my foot, I would sometimes feel swelling and soreness around that areas. Since it has been removed, that bothersome feeling is gone. (Though obviously, the foot that has more work done generally still feels more swollen and sore)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.