Doctor lowered dose of methamazole...am I having symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on 10 mg methamazole daily for a couple years now for Grave's disease, which caused low TSH (T3 and T4 have been normal).  TSH has been normal now for a while too, and doc cut my dose down to 5 mg methamazole daily.  I've been on that dose for one month, and am noticing being short of breath and heart feels like it flutters or something, which makes me feel short of breath.  I'm extremely fatigued and don't have the energy I usually do.  When I try to nap in the daytime, I just can't fall asleep.  So I am fatigued all day, even with 8 hours of sleep each night.  Has anyone experienced these symptoms?  Are they typical of hyperthyroid?  Anyone have this happen when trying to lower their medication dose?  Thanks!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kathy I had hyperthyroidism for two years and yes those symptoms are typical of hyperthyroidism, one time my doctor did lower my dose but she raised it right away when I nearly had cardiac arrest because of extremely high blood pressure. I had my thyroid taken out, and now have hypothyroidism. I also have had graves disease for four years now and im very familiar with its terrible symptoms!
    • Posted

Thanks for verifying my symptoms; sometimes even on the 10 mg methamazole, I'd have these symptoms come and go so I always have wondered if the methamazole is doing all it should.  The most unpleasant symptom for me has always been my chest symptoms; my heart feels like it is working hard (but blood pressure is OK and heart rate is OK), and my chest aches and feels heavy and it hurts to breathe in, making me feel a bit short of breath.  The first time I had these symptoms I went to the emergency room, thinking I was having a heart attack, but everything heart related was ruled out.  My closest description of these symptoms is how I feel when I'm anxious, like when giving a speech to a large group.  But now with the hyperthyroid problem, I can feel this way even when relaxed and not anxious or stressed.  Is this common with hyperthyroid patients?
    • Posted

i cant speak for everyone else but i know it was very common for me, i know exactly how you feel regarding the shrotness of breath. i constantly felt anxious and stressed out like my heart wanted to give out. except for me my blood pressure was high, i had tremor, i always felt hot and never could consentrate , it was like i was going full speed all of the time even though my body was fatgued, if that makes any sense. it got so bad that i was pulled out of school until my thyroid was removed
  • Posted

Hi. A lot of patients on the forum are taking L carnetine supplements to improve energy and for enough energy to reach the heart - which is a muscle too. my daughter has found it helps enormously. - Her bp and pulse is much lower. She has more air in her lungs because of the way l carnetine works. I'd really recommend it. Magnesium supplements are also important as this gets depleted rapidlywhen people take other medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.