how bad is it after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

im having surgery on the 26 0f june they are removing my lower intestants. the question i have are how long to recovey and how long did it take to go back to work. i am a autoworker always on my feet and bending over, will it take me a little while because of my job. thank you for any help

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi George,

I suppose everyone has different recovery times and how old you are will play a big part in how fast you recover. I am 5 months into recovery after surgery and while the first 6 weeks were a slow, hard slog to feel somewhat like my normal self, I know I couldn't have coped with going back to work.

I still now have days when I get really tired, have no energy and have to force myself to carry out tasks. 

In all the literature you come home with, its stated you can probably go back to work around 6/8 weeks, but I would imagine that would be to a desk job. If your job requires you to be on your feet all day, that's going to take its toll and probably would require a longer time at home building up strength and feeling confident that your capable of going back to a more strenuous job. Don't go back to work before you feel your ready and when you do go back, good luck. I think good advice would be to listen to your body. Lynne.

• Posted

Yes, however I am a few years older than you, but I'll get there it will just take me a bit longer! I forgot to mention another contributing factor to how quickly someone will recover, is how fit they are before surgery. I had to have a 'fitness test' before my surgery, carried out at the hospital to determine if I was fit enough. All good fun, riding a bike to exhaustion with a mask over your face to measure anaerobic threshold. I looked like Hannibal Lector!!!

So, George, good luck for 26th June, hope all goes well. Lynne.

• Posted

Hi George

Welcome to this forum. I am sorry I cannot be much help at this time as I am waiting to see a Surgeon. However other people here as you can see can give you some good information.

Vivian

• Posted

hi george , sorry i can't help with your question as i haven't had surgery for diverticulitis and i hope i never have to .  glad to see some other people replying to your post .  good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.