Started lithium and not felt effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have recently been started on lithium after several other meds causing bad side effects. I have been on 400mgs for a week which will probably be reviewed when I have my bloods done next week. However, with the other meds I have had I have felt effects straight away eg Quetiapine made me feel drowsy, but with the lithium I have felt no difference at all. Does it take a while to improve things? I heard somewhere it takes a while to build up in your system before it takes effect but I am struggling. I am currently very depressed and have terrible anxiety/ wired feeling with almost constant crying and broken sleep. I just want relief. I am diagnosed bipolar 2 with rapid cycling and also take lamotrigine 150mgs. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I cannot offer any advice to you catarratto apart from hold on in there.  Really just messaging to let you know that you are not alone.  Give it time to work and good luck

• Posted

Hi, that's very high dose your on. Keep I eye on it, if symtoms get worse make appointment with a doctor.
  • Posted

Hi catarratto,

Like joyce, I don't have experience with this. I felt for your situation. I did take a quick search through google and the first first posts that came up said it takes several weeks for the effects of lithium to be felt.

You are in such a difficult time. And I have been there (with depression, not bipolar). Bless you and hold on, honey.

• Posted

Thank you I appreciate your comments. I'm feeling really bad at the moment And my life feels like a mess due to bad decisions made when I was ill that I can't change. I'llaybe put that on another post lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.