Need advice as I'm concerned I'm being lied to

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am fighting with the VA for an agent orange disability.  I have several symptoms from it but am being denied due to not having type 11 diabetes.  I have a constant thirst, extreme urge to urinate, have eye problems, have been diagnosed with severe poly neuopathy, a simple cut takes months to heal.  My weight goes up and down like a roller coaster, have istemic heart disease and have had a heart attack with a stint inserted, always have a high white blood count. But I'm told the blood test show "I DON'T" have diabetes.  I keep asking how can this be and never get an appropriate answer.  Is there some kind of doctor who can really specialize in diagnosing this or am I just going to continue?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Whilst it is true that you have many of the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes, if your blood tests do not show raised amounts of glucose in the blood you have not got Type 2 diabetes, although you may have pre-diabetes. It can be checked easily at your local pharmacy.you would then know whether your doctor is lying. There may be other explanations for your symptoms. As it happens I have a friend with the exact same symptoms for whom type 2 diabetes has been ruled out so he is having more investigations too.
  • Posted

Why not ask your doctor's receptionist to print a copy of your blood test results for you? I get mine every month. You can then check out your results and see for yourself what's going on. All the best. Debbie.
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie.  I've been doing that and that in itself is the problem.  Blood tests are withing range but yet all the symptoms of diabetes are present.  Guess I just don't understand.
  • Posted

I think there are two,possible things to think about. Firstly your symptoms can be caused by something other than diabetes such as under active thyroid. Have you asked your doctor what else could be causing the symptoms or are you fixated on the fact you want it to be diabetes because of your disability claim. Secondly why would your doctor lie? However, I would still have a blood test done independently to confirm what your doctor has said. 

Although polyneuropathy is connected with diabetes, you would have had to have diabetes for a long time for it to be the cause. diabetic retinopathy can be caused by diabetes, other eye problems usually not. I have uveitis which is not caused by diabetes, in fact it predisposed me to diabetes. Weight gain is common with diabetes but fluctuating weight is not. Heart disease can be exacerbated by diabetes but there are other causes as is also the case with systemic heart disease. You really do need to have tests to see if there is an underlying cause of them all, but there may not be. Altogether I have 14 different health conditions, some related to the 10 different medications I am on, some related to family history, some related to each other eg osteoarthritis because of polio. At least three of these though just happened with no obvious reason. When I get new symptoms I often wonder what the underlying cause eg at the moment I have been getting palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia, nausea, fatigue, lightheadness which I thought for sure was heart disease but apparently is not.  So I still do not know the cause though I still have the symptoms.

best wishes in trying to find the cause. Do get an independent blood test.

gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.