CO ENZYME Q10 and Statin side effects and Heart health????

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All

I have suffered with severe dibilitation of both shoulder joints, now diagnosed as both 'frozen shoulders' due to taking Atorvastatin following a heart attack last October. Atorvastatin now discontinued. I have been told that I 'could' regain my shoulder arm movement in 18 months to 3 years with excercises.

I have been reading that C Q10 can help with the healing process??

Also that it is also beneficial for the heart??

Has anyone experienced good/ positive results re same taking Q10??

I have started taking Q10 (2 days) at 300 mg per day.

I am very interested re Q10 and read up what I could. have not read anything re precautions/ adverse effects of Q10.

Any comments really welcome. Thanks Chris 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

From Mayo Clinic web site. Is there a test for CoQ10  levels to know if we are deficient in it?

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an antioxidant that is made in the human body. CoQ10 is needed for basic cell function. CoQ10 levels decrease with age and may be low in people with cancer, certain genetic disorders, diabetes, heart conditions, HIV/AIDS, muscular dystrophies, and Parkinson's disease. Some prescription drugs may also lower CoQ10 levels.

CoQ10 in the body can be increased by taking CoQ10 supplements. There is evidence that idebenone, a man-made compound similar to CoQ10, may help treat Alzheimer's disease. However, evidence is lacking to support the use of CoQ10 itself for this condition. There is some evidence to support the use of CoQ10 for high blood pressure and heart failure.  Promising uses of CoQ10 include eye disease, chest pain caused by exercise, asthma, chronic fatigue, and high cholesterol, as well as the treatment of chemotherapy side effects in children.

Evidence is conflicting for the use of CoQ10 in heart muscle problems and exercise performance. There is some negative evidence for the use of CoQ10 in the treatment of diabetes, hepatitis C, and Huntington's disease.

• Posted

My problem was caused by Simvastatin taken briefly, resultig in myopathy,(muscle loss) I take CQ10 ( updated version whose name escapes me) and magnesium. The weight loss has stopped. I don't know whether this is coincidence or not but my attitude is doing something is better than doing nothing. I also limit my sugar intake because that causes me more of a problem with brain haze and fatigue. Just keep researching as there's a lot of info out there and a lot of people suffering with all sorts of problems. What a pity we can't sue them!
    • Posted

The medical profession should be doing the research and advising ones who have had problems. We can't accept much of the advice from unknown peole on many of the sites.

• Posted

Hi, yes, reading you comment and many similar ones in this blog makes me come to similar situation: there is a lot of poison out there.

I also had problems with simvastatin. Had bypass surgery in April and three days after starting taking simvastatin I developed severe pains in my shoulders making it very difficult to breath. Doctors said they were pockets of air in my shoulders and recommended Physiotherapie.

I stopped taking simvastatin and five days later I was fine.

• Posted

The medical profession is causing the problems! How many people, I wonder were warned by their doctors about the side effects of statins. I wasn't and it was only through research that I found out and stopped them immediately but unfortunately too late. The medical profession told me I had IBS, three times!  I didn't.
    • Posted

The question is as with all drugs how many actually suffer from the side effects.There is no doubt that it is a small percentage.

Many like me seem to be very sensitive and have side effects to most drugs. 

• Posted

Judging by the number of people on the internet quoting their stories, quite a few. What is concerning is when that they stop taking statins the problems don't go away and in some cases has lead to their deaths.
    • Posted

People who have side effects from taking statins need to look for an alternative way to lower their cholestrol such as exercise, diet etc. To continue taking statins with some of the side effects mentioned on this forum is not acceptable. 
    • Posted

Which problems don't go away? The side effects or their high cholesterol?
    • Posted

I don't care about my cholesterol but my side effects from statins aren't going away and I've been off them for nearly 12 months
  • Posted

Hi Chris

You don't state whether your heart attack was linked to CAD or not. My cholesterol rages and it is anticipated I have FH - although without DNA testing it can't be confirmed- so the statin is a must for me. I took Q10 for about a month following my 3rd episode of statin myopathy and can't say I noticed any difference.I no longer use it as it can't be put on prescription list.  I stopped statin treatment for one month and slowly increased 5 mg a month to bring me back to near same level as before (rosuvastatin) 25mg) but I have held at 20 for 3 months. You may want to speak to GP or cardiologist and see if another statin works better for you. 

• Posted

Thanks, My Cholesterol level was about 7.5 when I had my MI but I definately feel it was due to a build up of stress.Cholesterol went down to 3.5 on atorvastatin (too low I think). I am trying a low carb diet for a while to see if i can control my own cholesterol level. Will test it after a month. Was 6.11 after a few weeks off statins. Diet always been good, active, slim etc.
  • Posted

I have not taken C Q10 and therefore I am unable to comment on its benefits or otherwise. What I can say however is that I took Atvorvastatin 20mg for 9 months following a minor heart attack. I got severe pains in my legs, upper arms and shoulders. This has lasted for over a year and about two months ago when training I damaged my achilles tendons - this has cost me over £300 for treatment in a sports injury clinic. My GP insists that it has nothing to do with Statin and says I had a blood test to confirm this. I am convinced the Atvovasatatin is responsible and won't be taking any form of Statin in future.
    • Posted

HI, yes big discussions goin on about Atorvastatin & a lot of money being made from this Statin! I feel the same. I had 80mg for 7 months, really suffering!
    • Posted

80mg is quite a high dose. This is what I was given when I left hospital but my local doctor said it was much too high and put me on 20mg. However, as I said previously, I believe 20mg has given me severe pains in my body and I have stopped statin medication.
    • Posted

My physio said he was sure it was the statins that have caused me bilateral frozen shoulders. He wrote to my GP saying as much.
    • Posted

I am sure your physio is on the right track - GPs are hard to convince that statins are harmful. Hope you soon get rid of your painful shoulders. I have been taking codliver oil capsules for a couple of weeks and they seems to have helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.