Itchy and Sore Eyes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am after some help...

I am currently suffering from severe hayfever this year, my eyes are watering, itchy and sore trying not to rub but it is so dam hard not too)

i have taken antihistamines and am now using optrex itchy eyes eye drops as and when needed.

These work while inside but as soon as i go outside it is torture at the moment.

Anyone know of anything that can help with Hayfever, i also have asthma if that is relevant to any suggestions.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi dawn, I suffer from quite bad hayfever! My eyes are usually the ones that suffer the most from it! I used antihistamine drops and they worked for about 15 minutes and my eyes would become sore and itchy again! I went to my GP and she prescribed me with patanol. They're eye drops used to fight allergic conjunctivitis and they're honestly the only ones that worked! I'm not sure why but it seemed like the antibiotic in them helped my symptoms and I'd only have to use them once a day and one drop in each eye. Only thing is I live in Australia, so if you're from the good old down under then you'll be in luck but I'm not positive if the drops are stocked world wide! And they are quite pricey at $35 a bottle! But honestly the only thing that worked for me! Hope that helped!
    • Posted

Hi Olivia,

I am in the UK and not sure wether i can get these on the NHS.

I tried to get an appointment with my GP today and surprise they are either not working or are ill! great! And i refuse to see a locum as they dont read notes and i find are not very helpful.

• Posted

My eyes are really bad this yr with hayfever. swollen eyelids everyday since march.

tablets, eye drops and a cold face cloth is avised but hasnt worked for me but maybe u.

they say if outside to wear sunglasses. wash your hair at night, and change your pillowcase as pollen on it. dont open windows and car windows when driving.

i think its worse than last yr for sure.

• Posted

Hi

my wife suffers big time with hay fever with inflamed nose, really itchy eyes and bad sneezing.  She has been prescribed Fexofenadine 180mg which aren't of much help!  We heard there is a jab available which is once a year and alleviates all the symptoms.  Have you heard of this by any chance?  

• Posted

Hi Jayant0533

Sadly no i havent else i would be more than willing to go for this option.

I have found that the Beconase Nasal Spray is brilliant one squirt in both nostrils in the morning and evening and i am no longer sneezing my life away, this may be more expensive than most but works wonders for me.

I have been given stronger eye drops by my dr the liquid id yellow? sorry cant remember the name of it.

• Posted

i was given rapitil eye drops they are a yellowy liquid, they work great the best i have had by far. although the colour does put me off as it tints my eyes for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.