Weight bearing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello......I'm doing ok and one week on from double bunion and hammertoe surgery. Yesterday was a bad day, exhausted and headachy. Having a problem with the medication causing constipation but seem to be turning a corner now, thank the Lord! Managed a shower last night. My question is do you ladies wear the lovely boot in the shower or can you place your foot down in just the bandages? I have those waterproof leg covers they are a god send. We made the mistake of me showering in those then decided as the weather was nice to dry them outside, however we didn't take into account I needed them to get back down stairs lol, so I was stuck upstairs till they dried as they hold a lot of water haha x lots to learn on this journey. Thank you for any input x 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Rae, Pleased to hear that you are doing well. I was advised by my NHS surgeon not to bathe for two weeks. The dressing needs to remain dry and in tact and the wound needs to also remain dry. After the two weeks I was able to have a bath allowing the wound to soak. At that point the dressings were off.

there is a lot to learn, I have learned on here that it is a slow process and patience is paramount. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks den. Isn't it strange how different hospitals say different things? I have my two week check up next week I've been told stitches out and redressed? They said I could shower as long as I didn't get bandages wet so I invested in those waterproof bandage leg covers. A god send. But I just wondered if I could actually put my foot to the floor without the shoe? So nervous for the Bandage removal next week!!!! Hope nothing is stuck to it OMG lol x
    • Posted

It is strange, it's consultant preference I suppose. My advice was minimal really in what to expect, whats normal and what isnt. I wasnt offered exercises. But we all get there in the end. Just don't get the bandages or wound wet now, it could cause infection. There will be a non adherent dressing underneath, so I dont think anything will stick. All the best
  • Posted

hi there rae.... i am five weeks post op with double bunion removal and hammer toe correction... omg i can so relate to what your saying from the medication causing constipation, i think due to the amount of resting this surgery requires it does give you headaches and doing the smallest task going to bathroom made me feel so tired almost to the put i would lay on my bed and say ohooo thank god im back sitting down again... i did not shower until i had the stitches out... so it was two weeks with just washes which made me feel worse... the pain... well lets say i am glad in one way i had it done because i would def not be going back for the second... do you have a pin in the hammer toe ? i do and its due to be removed on the 30th... i have been wrapping my feet in plastic bags for showers and almost standing on the sides of my feet which i dont think is recommended but i could not get use to the black boot i always felt like i was off balance.. to be honest i have not really used the boot much as i have not been outdoors since having it done, i know i certainly could of not stood in the shower with it on... i must say i did not realise the recovery was like this.... lots to deal with, pain, immobile, medication and tiredness, but we do get there in the end its just a slow process of recovery.... my advice rae.. rest, keep feet up as much as you can, keep medication going and eat healthy... i wish you a speedy recovery, this site has been brilliant for me... i have had lots of ups and downs with my journey... and the guys on here have been so lovely and helpful, we are real people with the same problems.. always here to help each other, so post what ever troubles you rae and your be surprised who can help, take care x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Gilly. You know what I'm surprised at how well I've come through this! The physio wanted me to use the boots so no weight would be on the joints at the front the feet! However I feel like I would be able to use the waterproof bags and just stand on my heels but I don't want to risk this as I've stuck to their advice. You must be going crazy not having any fresh air on your skin? I was indoors for 3 days then came and sat in the garden. Hubby placed garden chair right next to patio door to make it a little easier. I think being fit has really helped me on my recovery ( I run, swim cycle, marathon, boxing you name it lol) I feel great if I'm honest I expected more pain! I eat very well and have continued to do so. I have the pin in and so far it hasn't cause me any trouble x how did you feel when you seen your feet for the first time? And when stitches were removed? X I go next Tuesday for that x I can feel the tightness around the area where the bunion was, I'm doing gentle ankle movements and i can actually go for a walk (physio told me) but I'll wait till after stitches out lol
    • Posted

hi rae.... blimey you are doing brilliant... well done, i dont know if age has anything to do with the recovery i am 55 and only ever had surgery for child birth so this has been a bit of an experience i must say... being fit must so help i must say, i am past the work out days lol but try to maintain a healthy diet, i dont smoke or drink so i hope that goes in my favour !! my pin has caused my no pin for the five half weeks but the last two days i think the nerve endings are coming back big time because it has cause me some discomfort which i had not had before, i had my stitches out after two weeks but my surgeon stitching was very tight according to the nurse so it was quite painful, nearly two hours for both feet... i know i still have one left but i was in so much discomfort i told her to leave it, she dressed the foot again, but on leaving i see the surgeon and he asked me why was my foot dressed again with bandages when i only need a micropore dressing ??? so sometimes i think the communication is not always correct with doctor and nurse... when i did see my feet for the first time i must admit i didnt want to look because i am not good with stitches and pins... but i was pleased with the results, bunions run in our family, i put off for years having mine done but it was causes me difficulty in walking and i could not cope with that as i am an outdoor person so i decided to have it done... the tightness in the bunion are is normal and you will feel all sorts of feelings going on there as the wound heals.... the swelling may come and go, mine even at five half weeks is ok in the morning but after going to bathroom, lounge, kitchen etc.. the swelling does start again and the pain kicks in, it is getting better and each day brings something different, i was told to keep my feet dry while i still have the pin in which i have not liked some say yes ok to bath some say not too.... very confusing, i will be asking my doctor next week about driving, i so miss that.... still quite a bit of my journey to go i think but no more bobbley swollen painful feet lol at the end of it... best wishes for your journey too x
  • Posted

I took my shoe off when I put the limbo, waterproof bag on, but didn't weight bear on my operated foot I shuffled into shower on my bottom. I used the limbo until my stitches came out after week 2. However, after 16 weeks I fractured my foot and am now in a boot walker which I can only remove to go to bed, luckily my neighbour had a larger limbo which fits over my boot. 2 and 1/2 weeks into fracture repair so hope all is mending.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.