swelling on big toe after six weeks?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since coming out of the walker boot a few days ago and into tennis shoes I feel like my big toe is a bit more swollen and the swelling underneath my toes feels worse. Anyone else had similar experiences?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John I am 3 months into my recovery. I get swelling around ankles a lot. I had doubke bunion surgery. My big toes are bending bavk towards the others and my foot feels like its in a very tight shoe all the time. Even when barefoot I was told to wsit 3 months to see what happens not sure I am happy with that. I am in Tasmania Australia.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline I was told to wait 3 months as well. This whole business is a nightmare!
    • Posted

Yes it is. Did you get both feet done? Are you in Australia? Do u have a tight feeling and big toes being pulled?
    • Posted

I just had the one foot done. Bunion done and 2 hammer toes. One of the metal implants misaligned apparently. I can feel metal in my toes and the big toe feels really stiff and swollen and painful sometimes. I have got to wait for the 3 month point before I know what can be done about the faulty implant
    • Posted

They only did my bunion s on both feet. The feeling I have on the right is a tight pulling feeling. My second toe is very squashed and affecting my walking. I really don't know what to do to be honest.
    • Posted

I am in England and I know what you mean. it is a hideously depressing business and the thought of needing more surgery does my head in
    • Posted

Very depressing. Yes thats my fear also. I am 47 had 4 children that was a wslk in the park compared to this
  • Posted

Hi John my toe was still very swollen at 6 weeks, but the swelling did gradually reduce. Don't do too much in the first few weeks you will find that you still need to rest a great deal. I know it's very tempting when you have been confined to barracks for so long, and you are right the whole process for me has been an emotional rollercoaster!
  • Posted

Hi John. 

I am 7 weeks today and each day is different. Though it is really improving. I cant put a proper shoe on yet as I have to wear the darco foot splint to keep the toes down for 12 weeks, so I wouldnt manage a shoe. I do keep trying it though. I have a swelling and soreness underneath my big and second toe, its really painful and feels like I have a stone stuck in under my foot. I am having the other foot done on Monday, so I intend asking if this will ever resolve. The ball of my foot is still swollen, but what I have read, the swelling is the last thing to resolve.  Do you think that you need an insole in your shoe? You won't have worn them for weeks, so I guess it will take some getting used to. 

• Posted

HI den did you have hammer toe surgery as well as bunion surgery? I had implants put in the two hammer toes and neither of them touches the floor when I walk. Do you think the darco splint will make a difference? What are you wearing shoe wise? Are you doing much walking. I am doing little bits here and there but the swelling under the foot always gets the better of me and I end up having to go and put my foot up. The tennis shoes I am now wearing ( I bought them the other day a size bigger than normal size) are maybe too flat in their soles. I have ordered a pair of trainers. Do please let me know how you are getting about?
    • Posted

Hi john, I was never given crutches, I was given a surgical shoe that is flat. I had akin and scarf osteotomy and tendon release. I have done the supermarket shop wearing the shoe, but limping. The splint does pull the toes down, but it doesnt last long when the splint is removed, so I am not sure if it will be permanent. I am walking around the house just with just the splint on. I can  put my foot flat on the floor. But the first two toes stand proud, I do worry about that. I dont have to put the foot up as much during the day as I did. Its been stuck in the house and not able to drive that is frustrating. I tried my foot in a normal shoe on the clutch the other day, but it was too painful. Its good to talk, perhaps you will be better with the trainer that you have ordered.
    • Posted

Thanks den. Yes it is the worry that does my head in. Hopefully the trainers will be better. Thanks for your feedback. John

• Posted

hi john..... ohoooo john i have had such a horrible couple of days with what you have just posted.... my big toe in the morning is quite slim looking and then it just seems to expands with the swelling and a horrible burning stinging pain and underneath feels like the swelling is getting bigger... ohooo when will this end i dont know... i know i said i was not going to be in a dark place again but this is really getting me down now because i am expecting something good and its not happening !!!!  i can not even get a shoe on which is also getting me down because i can not get out and i have been stuck in my flat now for five and half weeks.... help !!!
    • Posted

Ah Gilly my heart goes out to you. I feel exactly as you describe and it truly is so upsetting. This whole business is horrible and it is the nagging uncertainties that I find the worst burden as they get me down. I am seeing my surgeon on Wednesday and will keep you posted
    • Posted

Don't despair I couldn't do much at 5 1/2 weeks it will get better at 16 weeks I was walking with no trouble for about 4 miles. Just small steps, as I said to John, I think that from what I can gather all our surgeons/consultants haven't been completely honest with us. My outpatient advice that after 10 weeks if you had a manual job you could return in that time. Not in my experience!
    • Posted

Hi Gilly hope you are feeling a bit better today. As smab says it does get better. My foot seems a bit better although I am stuck indoors again as resting my foot till I get new trainers on Monday. I think the tennis shoes are not supportive enough so I am not risking doing much walking till I have the correct footwear. Try not to get too down (although I have been extremely depressed over the whole business) as all of this is temporary and we will get through it! Best Wishes John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.