Steroid injections/ frozen shoulder ???side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

"I have both shoulders frozen due to side effects of statins. I had an injection to my right shoulder 2 weeks ago. After the 24 hr extra pain it returned to how it was. 10 days ago I had an injection in my left shoulder , same pain for 24 hours but from the day after I have had left sided pain in my left chest. I saw my GP the other day and said no chest infection, "see how you go". Has anyone experienced chest pains/ aches after steroid injection please?? Ive sort of ruled everything else out but this worries me because I had a mild heart attack last Oct.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had no idea frozen shoulder can be a side effect of statins.

can I ask who told you that?

ive had MUA on both shoulders fairly successfully but before that suffered enormously for about a year.

i had been taking statins for a no of years but had to stop because of severe joint pain kidney pain memory trouble....etc,etc

Frozen shoulder has never been mentioned as a side effect and I'm furious that I had to go through so much agony just because of a pill....

• Posted

My physio wrote to my Gp saying my frozen shoulders were a result/ side effect of the atorvastatin i had taken for 7 months.
  • Posted

I had a shot this past Wed - it was painful that day but since then I have been pain free with no side effects.  That being said it has been two days and had to move our office yesterday so there was some heavy lifting (relatively speaking since I can not lift).  We will see how the next few days go... but now I just get to unpack which is reasonable. 

Steriods can have very dramatic and different side effects on people so I would definitely watch this and continue to speak to your GP regularly.  Write down what you are experiencing.  I know my hustand had two steriod injections and both times is relaxed his diaphram enough (the shots were in his spine) that he had the hiccups for 1 weeks (straight).  Kind of undid any good the shot would have done to help him relax the muscles.  He no longer gets shots now because of this issue.

This is my first so I am paying close attention and writing down everything I feel and what happens because it is easy to forget a week after the fact. 

Good luck...

I am hoping this is enough to get me through but I may to the MUA next if the pain comes back as I am not interested in suffering for another year (I am at around 6 month phase when it is solid and frozen). 

• Posted

Hi Chris,  all these new threads on the same subject just goes to show how little coherent information and agreement between medical professionals there is when diagnosing and treating this awful condition.  I don't think they ask enough questions or warn you about the side effects of this treatment.  Appears to be the first stop for anything to do with joints more as a way of the medics using it as a diagnostic tool as much as helping the patient. With a box of tablets you can at least read the blurb and find out potential side effects.  I had steroid injection into the shoulder, was told it would almost certainly help but asked if someone would be driving me home from the hospital.  I was still driving then so was puzzled by this and then found out why!  After the injection which was painless and carried out with ultrasound my arm went completely dead, no strength whatsoever, pain not reduced and then the sickness kicked in.  I felt horrendous for two weeks, so many side effects and my shoulder was worse.  Doctors have tried to repeat the process but I refuse and they get quite annoyed with me but not going through that ever again.  Have heard other people have no problems with it but pain only relieved for a short period so each to their own.  Never heard of the statins as a cause so another new one.  I was recently prescribed another anti depressent group drug to try, reluctanly but because of the pain gave it a go. Told Dr I would rather not because they actually make you depressed when trying to keep positive is hard enough.  He said should go through it in two weeks and then see the benefits.  24 hours after starting I felt weirdly depressed where I wanted to give up and fatigue kicked in big time, read the side effects and it stated that evidence for those under 25 could attempt suicide and at higher risk. I can believe it, stopped immediatley and it took a week to clear the awful thoughts I was getting.  very scary.  I am 54.  I don't think enough is done to go through meds and other medical history/conditions risk factors with patients in my view.  Nothing is perfect but to be given enough info to make informed choices is all I ever ask.  Hope you are getting help and advice from cardiology to help with the chest pain and wishing you the best with your road to recovery.  Both shoulders at the same time I can't imagine coping with, bad enough with one.  
  • Posted

I have had 4 sessions of steroid injections. I have never  experienced chest pains/aches. This does not sound good and I would seriously ask for a 2nd opinion or take yourself off to A & E. 
  • Posted

Have had two steroid injections which were no help at all but never had any sort of chest pain.with your history i would speak to your gp a.s.a.p. good luck .

Gentle hug to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.