walking six weeks after bunion and hammer toe surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how they were walking six weeks after bunion and hammer toe surgery?I am limping quite a bit. I am getting around but feels like a balloon under my foot and I am wary of putting weight on my big toe. Please tell me it is not going to be like this forever?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

John

6 weeks after ilateral lapidus, atkin and hammer toe, i was walking very slowly over a mile round trip to the supermarket, i didn't limp as with having both feet done i looked more like a penguin.

6 months on, walking up Pen-Y-Fan, table mountain, minimum of 6 miles a day, for a full week.

my fet still swell, but, i do advise on taking pictures each day at the same time so you can see how you've progressed.

6 weeks is hardy anytime, just keep in there

Caroline

• Posted

Hi John, hang in there it really does get better. Think we are probably I impatient patients, it's really trying isn't it. That horrid walking on a ball feeling passes but pains on the foot sort of move around, so don't be alarmed if you then get pains elsewhere. I used a pedometer app on my phone when I stated walking after scarf/akin surgery, one foot.  Really recommend, found it great to monitor my progress and see how many

actual steps I was taking poor foot each day. I was amazed how many!! Motivating too, that phone was practically glued to me each day! Wish you all the best and quick progress. 

• Posted

Thanks Bee. How far are on from surgery are you. Did you have hammer toe surgery as well as bunion? Were you able to walk without limping at six weeks?
    • Posted

Hi John, I'm 10 weeks post op on bunion and hammertoe surgery on 3 toes and the physio insists I'm limping still! And I was thinking I was doing ok!! Putting movement through my toes is still stiff and sore and its natural that I'm avoiding it.

The therapists mantra to me is not to be afraid as the doctors would let you walk if everything wasn't healed. Focus on not limping and an accurate walking style. X

• Posted

Did it feel like a ball under your foot. And doesnt it feel sore under the bunion when you walk? Also what type of shoes are you wearing? I have only just come out of the walker boot and have been wearing tennis shoes for last few days. Perhaps they are not supportive enough? Also how is the swelling?
    • Posted

I've got Rheumatoid arthritis and so the pains I'm experiencing now are similar to those which I've lived with for a long time and caused the deformities. My pains have been sharp, esp in the big toe, like something going through the joint. I'm only just getting into trainers now and my foot is still swollen. Ive been in flip flops up until now. Remember that our feet have been held in one position for 6 weeks. The ankle is weak and stiff, the tendons and muscles in our feet have been battered through surgery and are also weak and stiff. We are retraining our feet. My 18 month old has better balance than I do right now!! Haha! Strengthen your ankle, move it back and forward, draw the alphabet with your foot, squat with your back against a wall
    • Posted

Oops. Was getting all carried away! I'm sure you get the idea!!

Talk to the doctor if there is a pain that's worrying you however. He's the best one to reassure.

Sorry for rambling post...

• Posted

I'm 21 weeks on my right foot, nearly 2 weeks on my left. Scarf akin on both, no hammer toes, unlike poor you. I went  into trainers  - surgeon insisted to wear trainers as most supportive - at 5 weeks. I was limping for sure at 6 weeks and following weeks when I overdid it. But take comfort that by 20 weeks I was comfortably walking 5- 6 miles each day and was able to wear normal flat shoes. Only  a little discomfort if walking over very stony ground but my surgeon

told me 20 weeks is very early on in recovery. Guess more of that patience is needed for us all but got to be worth it to get rid of those ugly painful

bunions! Keep going, going to be worth it. 

early in recovery....groan. It's frustrating and emotional but worth it to get rid of horrid bunion pain, you really will make improvements every week. 

• Posted

Oopsie - got a bit muddled at the end of that message....sorry...but you know what I mean! Hope things are better for you this weekend smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.