Do Pins Become Loose After 5.5 Weeks ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there everyone.... I have had one pin in for a hammer toe correction.... plus i have had double bunion removed all at once.  My right foot is ok and i am happy with, the left that has the pin in is stll so sore and swollen... the top of the pin seems to of turned around and i have been so careful not to knock it... do these pins become loose with time... i am due to have pin out 30th June... but the toe still feels very sore x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you talking about a pin that protrudes from your foot?
    • Posted

hi there, yes it sticks out the top of my toe !

• Posted

HI gilly, I have read one the posters who said that his toe pin did come loose and he simply pulled it out himself. Also, my Dr also mentioned that he has had patients whose pin were loose and it came out easily when he went to pull it out.

So, theoretically, if you think yours is coming loose, then you would probably have a painless (or less painful) pin removal?

• Posted

hi ajandtia.... thanks for reply, yes mine does seem loose at the top... but i cant touch it, it makes my stomach turn just looking at it.... ohooo cant wait to see my toe without this there... x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly, When you mentioned that your pin is "loose at the top", do you mean that the plastic pin protector (the bit sticking out of your toe) seems to have moved?

The bit sticking out of the top of my toe was a tiny plastic ball. I got the Dr to let me keep that AND the pin after my procedure. Looking at them, the ball is simply attached to the pin (ie is able to rotate on the pin). Hence, the ball moving does not neceesarily mean that the pin underneath is loose. (Or it could indeed be that).

The way I see it, having the pin removed is another step toward full recovery. That is why I looked forward to getting mine out. I hope it all goes well for you, gilly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.