Has anyone else experienced intermittent pain at the back of head.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm on a a decreasing dose of Prednisolone - currently 7mg- and am having aches and pains and weakness generally but also a pain at the back of my head low down on the right side which is intermittent..   Also my skin has become so thin that I pull off big pieces on my legs just by touching something slightly and am covered in dressings.  I wonder if this is normal and will improve once I 'm off the steroids (I hope).

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello marjory, I can't say that I have experienced this type of pain before but I had a pain at the side of my face that was intermittent, the GP wasn't too concerned. I then had an intermittent pain on top of my head, the GP wasn't too concerned about that either. The trouble is since being diagnosed with PMR and taking prednisolone I've often had the odd pain here or there but never really worried much about it. I suppose the question here is does this pain worry you? If it does pop along to your GP.

as for the aches and pains in general, are they PMR pains and aches and have they got worse with reducing your dose? Have you been overdoing things and your body is paying the price.

any open sore I would ensure was kept clean and lightly dressed but as soon as was possible I would undress them and always keep my skin well moisturised. Any cheap body cream will do but some do swear by a product called double base. Unfortunately thinning skin is a side effect of prednisolone but it will get better on the very low doses and when you stop taking preds altogether.

all the best, christina 

• Posted

Try something called DoubleBase on your skin it has been recommended by several people on this forum.

I am in US so had to order it on Amazon and won't get it til July 17 but if u r in the UK they have it at the drug store there so I understand

I was only diagnosed 3 + months ago and have had to go back to 20 mg twice because of flare ups.

Came down too fast, I also have headaches, annoying but not severe and intermittent. I was diagnosed by GP, Rhumy and vascular and all agreed it was not GCA but will keep close watch.

My headachs are only on the right side here and there but not sore to the touch which is what they checked for.

There are many people on this site who know so much more than me and I'm sure they will respond.

I hope you will be feeling better and try that cream.

• Posted

Marjory, PMR is pretty horrible. You should have enough pred to feel comfortable, you don't want to be in pain all the time. It may mean you are on too low a dose at the moment. I have thin skin problems along with purpura. You need a barrier cream such as double base gel, I find using a moisturiser is a no no as they are not very strong and also many are perfumed which can cause more problems. I am just hoping that coming of pred will mean my skin problems improve.

You can always give your GP a phone call about the head pains rather than making an appointment and see what they think. 

• Posted

I have thin skin  and get awful bruised looking arms most of

the time.  The Physician's Assistant at the Dermatologist

office where I go recommended putting coconut oil on my

arms.  It's not a total solution but helps.  The bruising is less

and the spots are not nearly as large without using the

coconut oil.   Don't buy at beauty counter but go to Health

Food store and get the pure coconut oil.  It's a little greasy

at first but sinks into skin after a while.

• Posted

Thank you all for the suggestions.   I will try them.
  • Posted

Hi Marjory I to had pains at the back of my head low down on the bone area but was on the left hand side. Dr said don't think it was anything to do to PMR and sent me for a neck X-ray, which I had last week and awaiting the results.
  • Posted

You're probably getting to the stage where the dose is too low and also at this stage your body has to start making its own corticosteroid - so it is even more important to go very slowly and in small steps - 0.5mg or using the "Dead slow and nearly stop scheme".

I had pains at the back of my head which were due to my shoulder and back muscles being tight - massage and Bowen therapy helped.  

• Posted

As I was tapering past 6mg or so of prednisone, I did experience very sharp spasms at the back of my skull, much like a very sharp tug on some over-tight ligament.

These occurences happened only over about a six-week period, and have not returned as I am hovering at 4mg.

I could count only eight or ten occurrences, but they were very sharp, like a nerve getting tugged or the sudden onset of a bad stiff neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.