Shingles then PMR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm still recovering from shingles. Now having pain in shoulder, arm, hips, lower spine. Not like PHN but muscle pain. Does anyone know if Polymyalgia Rheumatica can follow shingles please? I seen to be showing lots of similarities tto it apart from stiffness and muscle pain, like sore, itchy scalp, sweating and exhaustion on exertion and very tired all the time. I'm really getting so fedup with feeling do bad all the time, since last Christmas really, after I had the flu jab then shingles in April. I also have OA in spine and multi joints but have been told in the past I do not have RA. I don't know if it's just this playing up or PMR! I think my GP's are sick of seeing me lately. Any replies welcome! confused

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh...that is very interesting. I don't know that there is a connection between shingles and PMR but I also had both. I also have arthritis in my spine, hands, wrists, toes, and neck...never get the flu shot for the reason I don't want to get the flu. I was never sick in my life except for pneumonia in 1984.. Now have all the symptoms plus insomnia, fatigue, night sweats, adrenal issues, Stage Two renal insufficiency, etc. My GP retired (I think because of me) so now I only see the Rheumatologist.
  • Posted

Download the BSR Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of PMR>

You will see there are exclusion tests in the diagnosis of PMR, you can then discuss the problems with your GP's and find out exactly.

Currently there is no known cause or cure for PMR and there are as many theories as there are grains of sand.

• Posted

Ellie, your symptoms could simply be the after-effects of shingles.

The classic areas for pain in PMR are the hips, lower spine, front of thighs, shoulders.  Other symptoms can be low grade fever, especially overnight, and fatigue. 

There is no definitive test for PMR.  If suspected, GPs usually carry out two blood tests (ESR and CRP) to check for inflammation.  If those show raised markers, they can then give a trial dose of 15mg steroids (Prednisolone) for a week or two.  If the symptoms resolve by at least around 70% then the GP will take that as confirmation of PMR diagnosis.

Although there is no known cause (or cure) for PMR, many patients have commented that it started after a bout of flu, whilst others have put the blame on starting statins, and still others blame it on a period of stress.  It does seem therefore that in many cases, stress, whether emotonal or physical, can prove the final straw where PMR is concerned.

If you haven't had the blood tests I mention above, then do ask for them (although it is still possible to have PMR even without raised markers of inflammation), plus a Vitamin D blood test.  Many of us have been found to be defiicient in the latter and such deficiency can lead to pain in similar areas to those of PMR, as well as certain our 'nasties'.

• Posted

Thanks all for your replies. I'll do a bit more research as advised and then see my GP. Excuse typo's last night, was very tired but couldn't get comfy enough in bed to sleep! It's also very humid here at the mo, that doesn't help matters either. Back soon. ttfn Ellie X
  • Posted

There is no direct connection between shingles and PMR - but PMR often appears after a stressful event - of any sort, including an infection or even a vaccination. The immune system is overloaded, eventually the final straw breaks the camel's back and something develops. There is a whole range of autoimmune disorders - PMR is just one, many of the symptoms overlap, but as the others have said - post viral syndrome would also account for some of your problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.