Gas in Chest? Anyone have this problem before?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Six days ago, I was sent to A&E due to chest dicomfort. The doctor at A&E conducted a ECG test on me and ruled out that I am having a heart problem. Next, she took a chest xray for me and explained to me that there is gas near my chest as there is "black" patches in the xray. She prescribed me omeprazole and antacid. I took the antacid but I am still feeling slighy uncomfort at my chest (not sure is it because of psychological effects). May I know how long will it takes for antacid to take effect? Is there any other food to eat so that I can clear out the gas naturally. Thank You! 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daniel, it should take minutes for the antacid to take affect. Have you started taking the meds that your doctor prescribed.
    • Posted

Hi Stephaney,

I have been taking the medicine that the doctor prescribed. I forgot to mention, the doctor said that it is gastritis. I think it is also psychological effects kicking in because I can't seem to stop thinking about this problem. 

• Posted

Yes, aggree that this can frighten the socks off you! I have found taking baking soda in water will give instant relief as soon as you start to burp. DGL is very popular on this board and will soothe your gastritis. General opinion is its not a good move to stay on PPI's too long. If you must have them H2 blockers arent as nasty. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Hi Stephaney and Rex,

Thanks for your input. I have completed taking all the omeprazole and had stop for three days. However, I am starting to feel mild adominal discomfort. I really hope that it is me thinking too much. Have anyone heard of any withdrawal symtom for stopping omeprzole as there is not much discussion about it. This adominal issue had been causing me to go into aniexty mode. Perhaps, I have to really stop thinking about it and stop googling it. Most importantly, I do not want to be dependant on omeprazole or any other medicine. Thank You!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.