5 Weeks post op - When can I run?!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm new to the group, so please bear with me if I ask silly questions. I've tried to search for an answer to my query on this forum, but can't seem to find one.. 

I am now just over 5 weeks post op, scarf osteotomy for a bunion on my left foot. It's healing well, and I've had the air boot and dressings removed today. I'm still using a crutch for now, and am getting used to walking again (quite sore, but it's only the first day without the extra protection). 

My consultant said today that I could now drive (which was a little horrifying as I've been driving for three weeks already - the op was on my left foot and I have an automatic)... and when I asked about running - he said it's usually 4 months! 

It's been very difficult throughout to get info from my consultant on expected recovery etc (though he's done a great job, and the bones look super)... so I wondered if anyone here can give me their experiences for the same surgery... 

Thanks in advance, 

QF

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I had the same surgery on my left foot (bunion) i havent even tried to drive as i was told o could only drive at 6 weeks.but im dying to get bk behind the wheel lol i dont have a automatic tho so mite be hard. I had my bandages removed at 2 weeks. I havent spoke to my surgeon since b4 my op lol i tried to get hold of him once but he wasnt available.i think i will be seeing him at my 6 weeks check. I do feel theres not alot of info given before your op about the recover. And im not sure about running ive seen a few people on here saying they've not been able to run for a few months but i suppose its down to how you feel and what you can manage. I must say i found this site on my first week and its been a god send and ive found out more on here than i did through doctors or surgeon's. Xx
  • Posted

Well all I can say QatarFeet is you must be joking about running this soon! I would say it is an achievement to be walking at 5 weeks let alone running. I think even your consultant is being optimistic.when he says 4 months. Mind you I am 60 and you are younger I surmise. Best of luck anyway and wish you a speedy recovery. John
  • Posted

Hello,

I had bunion surgery on my left foot (distal soft-tissue procedure plus proximal osteotomy) and I had to wait 2 full months before being allowed to return to impact-type activities (my surgery was performed by an experienced orthopaedic surgeon -MD- focussing on F&A surgery). And it is important that, after the dressings are removed, the patient undergoes a period of physical therapy to regain the range of motion of the metatarsophalangeal joint, because no matter what bunion procedure is carried out, the foot obviously is weakened by the procedure. Best wishes for a speedy recovery !

• Posted

hi there, i too am 5.5 post op, i have just returned from seeing my surgeon also had pins removed, i had a double bunion removal and hammer toe corrections.... i must say i am glad i had both done together because i certainly would not be having the other one done for sure.  I was told today by doctor that i no longer need the black boot or crutches and start to get back into shoe.... shoes ? i can not get any shoes on at all.... he did say i still have alot of swelling for 5.5 weeks, my question was also about recovery... i have just been told it takes a good year for normality, ummmm was not told that prior to having it done.. i dont feel like i can drive at the moment as my feet still hurt and the swelling causes discomfort still.... so i think be prepared for quite a journey this recovery takes its time, i do wish you well with your recovery x
  • Posted

I had both feet done at the same time.  My surgeon said I could resume golfing and running at 3 months.  I did start golfing then, but didn't feel I was quite ready for the running.  I started running at 4 months and haven't looked back.  Healing takes a long time and you will delay your recovery if you try to rush it.  Good luck, and patience is the key to a speedy and successful recovery.
    • Posted

Hi. I was wondering if I should have my other foot done, now that I have had the one done and it wasn't so bad. Thanks for your comment, I think I am ready to make the choice for myself that I should have made in the first place, since I am close to retirement.
  • Posted

Good morning,

I'm one month out as well and am still pretty swollen (especially at day's end) and sore, but I am fully weight bearing and just wearing the hard shoe when out and about, Crocs inside my house. I take my time getting to my destinations (which is really hard for a super charged person like me wink ). I had the forethought to get a temporary disabled person placard from the DMV, which makes going places a lot better not having to be concerned with parking.  All in all, it has been less of a pain than I thought it would be. I wonder if I'll be able to work full time night shift in 4 weeks, but I'll cross that bridge with my doctor when the time comes. I hope that you continue to progress on your recovery to full health. Regards.

VF

• Posted

Hi QatarFeet, You aren't a HashHouseHarrier by any chance are you? I was in the H3 in Saudi, Kuwait and Nigeria many moons ago. Sorry to upset your day, but think you are getting a bit ambitious about getting back to running yet awhile. I am nearly 7 months post op after a Scarf Akin bunionectomy with two screws back in Dec 2014, so I know about these things. You may think all seems well, but you've got a little way to go yet of taking it easy. If you want a good result and I'm sure you do, you still need to rest that foot at every opportunity. Your foot will tell you when to do that! Your foot will still swell, hurt, jump and give painfull twinges when you least expect. Running whilst there's still healing going on, could really set you back. 'Slowly does it', is the motto I would say. Now at nearly seven months after my operation  I would say the foot is back to normal and looking really good. I don't run anymore though as I'm almost 71 and carrying a bit more weight, but I am pretty active and have no regrets about taking things steady during the recovery time - it really has paid off. Now I'm waiting to get the right foot done. Just be a little more patient - it'll be worth it. Best wishes, LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi. I had my scarf and akin osteotomies on my left foot in early February. I started running again at about 8 weeks but only on a treadmill as I found my MTP joint got sore otherwise. I have built it up to 36 minutes running at 8 mph pace which would be my normal speed when I used to run for 30 minutes outside but although I run when necessary, i.e. I need to get somewhere quickly, I am not yet able to go for outdoor runs for pleasure as I still get aches! My MTP joint had wear and tear already though so a perfect result was never expected. I am concentrating on cycling for now as it doesn't hurt my foot. Good luck with your recovery!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I'm really grateful for your replies, and what a lovely welcoming bunch you are! I think maybe I was buoyed by the excitement of getting the boot off yesterday... My foot - having had weight on it for the first time yesterday, was very sore and swollen by the end of the day, and is still very uncomfortable this morning. I'm definitely going to take your advice and go slowly. I'm back to taking painkillers for the first time in weeks this morning, which is a bit disappointing, but I'm hoping that won't last too long.... 

I have noticed that I'm 'protecting' that side of the foot a bit... Partly as its swollen, and partly pain, I suppose. Is that some thing others noticed, and did you find yourself correcting this as everything eased? I'm worried about getting into a bad habit of rolling my foot... 

Thank again all! 

P.s. I just over 40 John, and PinkLady sadly I've never been a HashHouseHarrier (though have tried a couple of times years ago inBotswana, but only lived there in holidays as my parents were there, so couldn't commit to regular attendance!) :-) 

• Posted

QatarFeet

I had a bi-lateral Lapidus + atkin 27/11/14 and started a pole fitness class 21/2/15 as it was low impact - NOT!

Your foot will tell you when it's had enough, but, one way of helping it, is a small trampoline, a few minutes bounce will help to flex the foot without the high impact of a solid floor - and you can do that bare foot, saves squashing into a running shoe. Also you'll have to build up the leg muscles, it's amazing how quickly they go to sleep when you've stopped using them for a while.

Good luck, remember recovery from this will try your patience to the extreem.

Caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.