Can hormones effect the effectiveness of Proxac?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor put me on Proxac to relieve the post menopausal symptoms.   She felt that since my symptoms-anxiety, depression, nausea, brain fog- pertained more to the emotional than physical, I was not a candidate for HRT.

I have been on Proxac for 2 weeks.  I felt I was making some progress when 2 days ago, I fell in a deep depression.

This time frame would have been right before my period. So, far I have missed 3 periods and my hormone levels are post menopausal.  My estrogen is still high enough to not put me in the post range. 

I was on Zoloft for 17 years and weaned off in March because of acid reflux.  I believe that the Zoloft probably prevented many of my current symptoms.

My questions:  Do you think since I have only been taking Proxac for 2 weeks that the two bad days may be hormone related?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think that yes the two bad days are hormone related, try and keep a diary of when your bad days are and when your periods should be and they will then make up a pattern.  I am on Fluoxotine which is similar to Proxac and it takes around 3 to 4 weeks for the drug to get into your system, Hope this helps Margaret

Sally smile

• Posted

Hi Margaret

I think maybe you are over-thinking this, in an anxious sort of way.

You fell into the quagmire two days ago. Do what you do to survive it and get out. Talking baout it here is a great step!

As for the Flu/Prozac - just keep taking it and hang on tight for the rollercoaster. I wouldn't be surprised if you experience all your symtoms times any where five to ten-fold. If you are lucky, it'll ease after a few weeks, probably will take several weeks. You can start to think about assessing the benefits in three months time.

Distraction, talking, walking in this wonderful sunshine are all good for helping you get through your current depression and the early effects of Flu.

I have been on it for several months now and have never felt so happy and content in my life.

• Posted

Thanks for the vote that it will get easier, I have been on it nearly two weeks. Nausea is the worst and feeling so tired. Changed when I take it now I take it in the evening so not feeling so sick but still very tired
    • Posted

I suppose that I am attempting to ease anxiety by surmising a rational explanation.  Knowing that hormones are directly connected to mood helps me understand the ups and downs that I experiencing.  Thanks so much for your input.  I really appreciate your insight.
    • Posted

Hey Margaret

Whatever helps you get through depression is a good thing. Rational explanation? Personal opinion - and I'm not a psychiatrist and no little or nothing of brain chemistry - is to look to two places. First - I can find absolutely nothing rational about getting on to Prozac/Flu - it's just a roller-coaster that magnifies your emotions and some physical symptoms to keep you on your toes - well, on your back in bed, maybe. The other place is unresolved emotional issues. Ah! and menopausal issues. Three places to look!

I think I understand what you mean, but suggest that understanding is not so important as acceptance. To accept what you are experiencing will eventually enable you to move through it. I think understanding comes from looking back, from the other side to where you are now, and you can learn for the future.

I wonder how much adrenalin you are pumping through your body right now - anxiety, panic, tummy collywobbles. Calming that is important. Find some things to distract you from your thoughts, put you at ease (haha! I know).

Something to hold on to - if you stay the Flu course, it will get better and you will find joy again. Not a guarantee, it doesn't work for everyone, but in all likelihood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.