Catheter Blocked on Routine Leg Bag Change?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi - i'm presently waiting for a turp & have an indwelling catheter.

after doing a routine 7 day leg bag change  the catheter immediately became blocked. - i had no probs prior to the change.& had to call the district nurse

anyone know what's going on or have had a similar experience?

the expectation of a potential blockage is really  driving me nuts.

the nurse says its takes up a lot of their time (btw she wasn't complaining) - you would think they would have the blockage broblem somewhat sorted by now?

cheers

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't really think anyone can answer your question.  They just need to figure out if you have a clot blocking it or what???
    • Posted

I had a blockage problem that I atribute to an in experienced PA in the emergency room. All of a sudden it just stopped draining through the tube and was leaking at the opening at my penis. So I disconnected the bag and put on a "Depends". A couple of days later the flow started again on its own and I reconnected the bag. Soon afterward I came down with an illness (infection?) that was brutal. Next time I had to be on a Foley I had no problem. 
  • Posted

DON'T have a TURP.

Have a PAE!!!!!!!

Do the research. 

See a qualified vascular surgeon who does a PAE.

Dr Bagla at Inova Hosipatl in Alexandria Virginia.

• Posted

Hello.  Like Chuck said no one can answer that  Some men will have them and others don't.  No one knows why they get blocked.  The other question I like to have ask you is why a turp.  Is that the only thing there offering.  I hope the doctor has told you all the side effects.  Once you have it done you can never get anything back. Are you sure there is nothing else that you can try first that may work.  If you have read some of the mens post.  Some have good out comes and there are some that they have more problems.  I had a Urolift done 8 weeks ago and the outcome was great.  Please make sure you look up everything before you have it done.  They are many other less invasive procedure that will help with the flo.  Take care and good luck  Ken     
  • Posted

Hi there

I do understand that you want to find a solution for your BPH issues. But to start out with an indwelling catheter, which everybody know will give you a bladder infection max. after 72 hours. Well - maybe you are so lucky that you don't feel the infection - in the beginning. Furthermomre; you have been so unlucky to get your catheter blocked as well. Many more thing could be mentioned, but it will takes too much space. Why not ask your doctor for a Memokath prostate stent. This treatment is done in local anesthesia, takes about 20 - 30 min. and you can go home after the insertion. If you for some reason wants another treatment you can at any time remove the stent and absolutly no harm is done. Nothing from the product is remained in your body. But I'm pretty sure that you will so happy that you don't want any other treatment.

Btw - if you have an indwelling catheter it is important that you drink a lot to ensure a sufficent flow through the cathteter.

Good luck Barra

• Posted

thanks for your replies - i live in n ireland & a turp is generally the accepted treatment however i will take the advice & look for other alternatives.

unfortunately trying go speak to a consultant in the nhs can be rather difficult & my gp's know little

on the blockage - it was just strange that it occurred the instant i changed the leg bag - maybe just coicidence?

my wife maintains it' was an airlock & i should have just blown down the tube - lol

• Posted

Lander my friend Please do that for now.  And see if there is something else you can try.  Because once thet start cutting there no going back   You did not say your age...I will look up some information and see what I can find out..Ken   
    • Posted

Lander this is Ken  I look today on the internet Treatments for your problem .  They do have some Less invasive treatments but it seam they push the turp just to get it done.  But the less incasive ones still use needles electro microwave and laser.  There has to be something over there that they don't cut away at the prostate.  Please ask your doctor if there is any thing that does not cut at the prostate that you would like to try that first.  It is your decision  Gook Luck  Ken 
  • Posted

Hi Lander

I do agree with Ken go for the less invasive treatment (always). Therefore I do speak about Memokath. I have just spoken to one of my friendes who informed me that it is possible to get a Memokath in Ireland.

Enjoy

• Posted

Yes that is a good Idea Tell your doctor that you would like to try that first.  Don't let him force you into having a Turp.  Not like one of the other guys on here the doctor told him to tale it or leave it.  That is not right.  Good luck   Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.