Sed Rate

Posted , 13 users are following.

I got my labs back today and my Sed Rate is 33 (should be 0-17).  The Dr. prescribed 20mg Prednisone.  I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia over a year ago.  Took Pred. got much better.  Didn't have any trouble until a few weeks ago.  I thought once you got over the symptoms and started feeling better the Polymyalgia wouldn't come back.  Guess I was wrong!  Am curious as to what some of your sed rates are.  Thank you all!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My Sed rate was 127 when I was diagnosed with PMR it has been down to 32 but is currently 52. It shot up after a cold. Have you had your CRP checked? 

Once you have PMR, you always have it, but it hopefully it goes into remission and burns out so you no longer have the symptoms. It can however raise its ugly head in the future if you are unlucky. 

• Posted

I went back and checked my labs.  No CRP test.  Not sure I want to know as I'm a smoker and need to lose about 20lbs.
    • Posted

CRP just shows inflammation I don't think it cares about smoking and weight! It tends to be more sensitive than Sed Rate and it can be useful having both readings. I suppose Sed Rate gives you an idea of inflammation though. 
  • Posted

What Pred were you on when you had the flare?  My Dr hasn't done my sed rate for about a year - she just said "you'll know when it goes up"  I guess she means pain!!
    • Posted

I started on 20mg and started tappering off after a month.  I sure don't like that stuff.
    • Posted

Guess it's the lesser of two evils.
    • Posted

I'm afraid I don't agree with your doctor.  Quite a number of people have a low sed rate, but still have a lot of pain.

My sed rate hovers between 15/18, ie 'normal', and my doctor insists on checking once a month (and that over 3 years)!

• Posted

Each patient will have to experience the limit of how fast that they can taper off of the pred.

At some point a sticking point usually occurs where the patient will have to at least maintain their previous dosage level for some extended period of time, from where they will then taper off much more slowly.

I feel lucky to have tapered 1mg per month down from 15mg to 5mg before a leveling-off point was reached now at 4mg, but for how long I don't know.

• Posted

Depending on your age, that level is not overly high.  ESR (Sed Rate) normal levels are considered to be 0-15 for men and 0-20 for women.  However, they can be slightly more elevated in the elderly.

When first becoming ill, my ESR was 92 and my CRP 157, the latter being considered by some doctors to be the more relieable marker of inflammation. (normal range 0-4.9).  Whilst both these markers can be raised in response to many illnesses, including simple infections, around 1 in 5 people diagnosed with PMR never present with raised markers. Whereas those patients with high inflammatory markers at diagnosis find repeat tests a useful guide, along with their symptoms, when reducing, those patients without such markers have only their symptoms to guide them.  My blood test markers always corresponded with my symptoms (how I felt pain-wise), and both I and my rheumatologist found them very useful as a guide as to whether to reduce or not.

Unfortunately, flares in the inflammation can be quite common in the first 12-18 months of treatment, often precipitated by reducing the steroid dose by too much, too soon.  Or perhaps you have you been overdoing things lately just because you have felt so well.

• Posted

My sed rate was 38 at beginning after two years now 10 if it is Esr we are talking about. After a flare up on no preds went to 19.Now on 3mgs and very comfortable but trying to taper again .
  • Posted

Hi Judy, my ESR was 124 and CRP was 46.7 that was last November, they have gone down but I haven't a clue what they may be now.  I have seen a consultant rheumy in March and have seen no one since.  I am kind of winging this.  Well I have appt. on Monday to see dr.  Hang on in there Judy.  Regards Pat
  • Posted

Hi Judy

had my blood work done a week today and my SED was .59

i said isn't that to high, could I have an infection somewhere, and the doctor said NO.

he has patients with SED over 100. Just means inflammation high in our blood he said

• Posted

"Just means there is inflammation in the blood ..." - I'd be looking for another doctor who will at least discuss things with you with correct information! It isn't in the "blood", it is in the body in general and if it is raised there is something that needs seeing to unless it is due to an acute infection such as a cold or bacterial infection. If you have PMR and the sed rate is still too high - the pred dose hasn't brought it under control yet and may need to be a bit higher. The whole point ofpred is to clear out the inflammation that is causing the swelling that leads to pain and stiffness. It hasn't "cured" anyting, it is managing the symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.