a bit personal but...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since my open hernia op four months ago my stomach is stitched tight and high and I am still a bit tender. I am very unhappy about my appearance - not that I was a stunner before - and am still pretty messed up.

Problem is I have totally lost my sex drive! Is this normal? Will it come back?? At the moment I look horrible, feel horrible and just feel totally irritated when I'm touched in any way.

Can anyone help or give me some information about help.

Ta muchly

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovepodge.

you did not state if your op was an open or laproscope proceedure. if your had an open op then you will have a bigger scar than the latter proceedure. which will take longer to heal never feel bad or unhappy about yourself what you have to realize is you have had a lot of internal surgical insult and nerve damage which takes longer to heal any scars that are visible to you, will serve to remind you each day just how brave you have been .remember your body is working overtime to repair itself internallyand that takes time so you wont be feeling on top form??

what is important is that you give yourself time to convalesce properly and rest. dont lift anything heavy. i am speaking from experience as i have had four operations on my stomach to repair hernia,s  each time it has taken me at least 8months to get better let alone think about anything else

remember time is a great healer SO CHIN UP AND TAKE A POSTIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

Andrew

aNDREW

• Posted

Hi ilovepodge,

I had a Laparoscopic Inguinal, for 3 hernias on march 11, I am still swollen, I have loads of blood clots,loads of internal scar tissue, my testicle is retracting because of the scar tissue and now I have one of the hernias back, so I now need open surgery to repair that hernia.

There are people worse off than us, so chin up, have a bright outlook and think positive.

I hope you feel better soon, time is a great  healer.

xx

• Posted

Hi Lovepodge it is now 10 months since I had open surgery to fix my incisional hernia, I had abdominaplasty at the same time as this was my 5th abdominal surgery.  The appearance is good, but I was stitched tight and high and as it was my 5th op,it is taking ages for things to settle down.  Regarding sex drive all the mesh in my abdomen has changed things for me, the mesh pulls during intercourse, very scary and off putting.  If this is not happening in your case maybe once the appearance of the scar improves your sex drive will return. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.