Prism like floaters in eyes

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PMR in March of this year have been on 10 mg of pred I am now down to 9 mg with symptoms well controlled this morning  I awoke with c shaped prism like floaters in my vision they disapeared after 30 min. has anyone else has this happen? I will add that I did not sleep well. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Carol, that is what I experience day after Cortisone inj but have not had it since. I'm going to mention it to my Dr at my appointment next week. Not much help sorry as I don't know what it was but at least your not alone .
    • Posted

Thank you so much for you reply.Hope all goes well at your appointment.
  • Posted

Carol, I was led to believe that such floaters can become quite common as we age.  Rarely are they a sign that something serious is going on.  However, worth getting your optician to examine your eyes just to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Thank you MrsO I have had floaters before these are just different. thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

I have had some really thick 'floaters' from time to time which were actually disrupting my vision when reading and doing close work of any kind.  My doctors advised a visit to the opticians.

.  After various test they said that there was no problem but that these very thick 'floaters' were probably caused by the steroids and would get better as my dose went down.  They also found a cataract developing which was also they believed to do with steroids.  They said it was tiny and very slow growing so not worry about it.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Carol,

I was teaching a class about 4 months ago, and while teaching the class I got a sudden streak of a black stringly floater in my eye -- a BIG streak.  I have had floaters often, and thought that's what it was.  It remained in my vision for 2 days, then disappeared.

When I got back home I went to the eye doctor, who told me I had a slight hemmorage in the eye.  The black was blood, which was reabsored by the fluid in the eye.  He checked me out thoroughly and told me that happens sometime, but that the retina was still in tact.

Bottom line -- stuff happens.  When in doubt, check it out.  Our bodies are incredibly resiiliant though aren't they.

All the best,

• Posted

Hello Carol!!

I've had the same sort of experience. Been on pred since March 2015. I can only explain it as a 'pixelated' horseshoe that starts off small in one corner of my eye then takes time to travel across my eye until it eventually disappears. It's there even when I close my eyes as well, takes about 10 to 15 minutes to go away!!! My rheumatologist tells me it's the steroid!!!

Andrea xx

• Posted

Andrea you explained it perfectly,I might have known another pred side effect!!
  • Posted

Yes that's it Andrea , mine disappeared after I ate something, I haven't had it since
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have had exactly what you described for many years now, starting at the age of 50, now 61. This happened long before I had PMR or was on any kind of medication.

It hasn't got any worse or better, poppping up occasionally. My doctor says not to worry about it.

Cheers,

Shawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.