Read This For Your Own Good & Peace Of Mind!

Posted , 9 users are following.

My name is David. I went off Mirtazapine (Remeron) February 27, 2015. I had already tried going off 45 mg a year earlier, after being on the drug for 7 years. I don't even remember who originally prescribed it, or why. I was having health problems with my GI system and heart at the time. Over the years I began to feel bad, having the famous morning hangovers, GI problems, and an aggravation of the heart issues. I asked my PCP about getting off the drug, and without any discussion he said sure, and set up a 2 week 30 mg, 2 week 15 mg, stop taper (Feb 2014). About a week after that I was cut down by the withdrawals, about as bad as it gets. Since my main problem was GI symptoms, I contacted my GI doctor, who put me back on 7.5 mg. It helped, but for the following year I felt awful most of the time. It never occured to me that when I went back on the 7.5 mg, I was still 37.5 mg less than what I had been on. I had made a 37.5 mg reduction without even thinking about it. And was suffering from it thinking that it was just side effects. Then, on February 27, 2015, I forgot to take my 7.5, and felt OK the next morning. And I thought that if my PCP thought that it was ok to go from 45 to 0 in a month, then cold turkey off 7.5 should be a breeze.

I have a college education, and have always thought that I could make rational decisions. I am a retired Fire Department Battalion Chief, which I did for 31.5 years. That being said, that cold turkey mirtazapine stop without researching it first was probably the worse decision that I have ever made. For the ones who have followed my posts, you know that it has literally been hell, both on me and my wife and family. I used to think, to give myself a break, that I have seen people on here and other forums, that did long tapers and still had bad withdrawals. I am into month 4, and am still communicating with forum members to keep my head straight and not go back on the Remeron.

My point is simply this, if there is any chance that a tapered withdrawal will help, by all means do it! Don't get in a hurry or be impatient. If you don't, and you do what I did, you may be doing the most unkind, damaging thing that you have ever done to yourself. And, if you don't believe that you would ever think that you can feel bad enough that death would be a blessing, think some more. Not to say that I considered suicide, as I wouldn't put my family through that, I love them too much. I would go back on the medicine first. But if my situation was different, well I hate to even think about it. Do the taper for as long as it takes, if you still have withdrawals, then they will most assuredly be less severe. I have been to the hospital ER 3 times since March, and the expense is unbelievable, even with insurance. Plus, the last doctor that I saw said that he had no clue as to why I was having the pain that I am. I waited until all the tests were done before telling him about the Remeron, as I knew the kind of response that I had got on the previous visits. Why was I at the ER? I just plain couldn't believe that stopping those little pills was causing the physical torment that I have been, and still am going through. Things have gotten a little better, but I am still paying the bill for my cold turkey decision. It is now lunch time, and guess what I am having? A cold turkey sub from Subway!

If you are considering going off mirtazapine, please, even though I don't know you, my love for mankind, as God expects, dictates that I sincerely hope that you will remember this.

Best Regards, David

4 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well said David.  You hang in there,we all support you.

Sounds like it's subsiding a little.Youve done really well.

Big hug to you both Norma xx

• Posted

Thank you Norma. I hope that you and your husband are doing better. Take Care, Your Friend, David
    • Posted

No David,we're not doing that well. The weather here is so hot,which don't help me much,and my stomach is really bad,all the stress don't help.

But I'm pleased you may be seeing to the other side.xx

• Posted

Hi Norma, David suggested I contact you to get a hold of Rose. I am withdrawaling from Remeron and David thinks Rose can help me, Thanks for your helpsmile
  • Posted

thanks david this is karen im new here and yes i did the cold turkey things as my doctor said it would only be flu like symtems little did he know and yes i ended up in hospital more the mental side thought i was going mad had to start taking it again so idid hopefully im down to 7,5mg just trying to maintain a level at the moment i think ill stay here for a bit,,
    • Posted

Karen, welcome! I wish you the best. Be kind to yourself. Be careful. If you read much about withdrawal off mirtazapine, you will find that most doctors don't have a clue. No offense to doctors intended, it is just that the company that makes Remeron doesn't make a point of educating those who are prescribing and dispensing mirtazapine as to the dangers of getting off that drug. Take Care, David
    • Posted

I got the same impression from my Dr. When I called him for anti nausea meds and told him how bad everything was since stopping the mirt his response was that it could be my anxiety and not withdrawal. He was happy for me to go from 7.5 every other night to nothing but I knew better thanks to people like yourself sharing your experiences on here.
    • Posted

That is why people like me who have been down that road are willing to take the time to post on this site. I was helped with accurate, complete information posted by others, and I hope the same for you! David
  • Posted

hi its karen thanks for getting back to me ,i wasnt having a good day yesterday with eveerything but feel a bit better to hopefully im stabaliseing at 7,5 i thinck im gonna stay here for a bit got a lot on at min schhol hols comming up has ive got a kid whos 9 plus work will be starting soon on my house so need my wits about me ,,
  • Posted

Its good to read you are feeling a little better.  I have been on 45mg for 4 years and recently reduced my dosage to 30mg.  Thankfully I havent had any major side effects yet but my GP is brilliant and has really looked after me throughout my illness. I think that patient advice is vital to us and i am saddened that you did not get the care you deserve.  

Your progress is inspirational though, you are a brave and strong man with the will and confidence to fight this.

I wish you a speedy recovery and have respect for you xx

• Posted

Hello David

I really do appreciate what you doing, i have not started tampering yet and i have been on mirt for 5 years now. Please i need your advice what is the best way you think to start getting off this medication? am presently on 30mg

• Posted

Hi David Im new here but couldn't help responding to your experience.Your story is frightening and Im sorry you had to endure such a terrible withdrawal. Im currently on day three without Remeron. Im scared to death because I havent slept  Im tired all day but not at night. How did you sleep following stopping Remeron?
    • Posted

Melanie, I didn't for a while. I sat up in bed and watched TV. Gradually, I found myself dozing off, and these periods slowly became longer. Then, at some point, I would feel these coming on, and would lay down on my pillow and continue to watch TV, and go to sleep. Sleep is one of the biggest withdrawal issues. I hope this helped. David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.