Scar tissue after bunion surgery

Posted , 30 users are following.

I'm now more than 6 months post bunion & hammertoe surgery !! Experienced a post op complication of scar tissue build up so  have not regained full movementvof toes ! Foot feels tight & sore & still walking with a limp, my consultant proposing a procedure to break up adhesions ! I would love to hear if anyone else had this mua procedure, am told it's pretty rare in foot but common in knee & shoulder problems ! 

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Good Afternoon Anne,

I am 3 months post surgery. I have had the same procedure, bunion & hammertoe and a torn liagment. I also have a lot of scar tissue build on the ball of my foot beneath the hammertoe. My range of motion for my big toe is not good. I have heard that some people have a manipulation done to help the toe start moving properly. Also, something called debridment for the scar tissue. Please let me know what you decide to do the procedure and the results.

• Posted

I am reading this and have the same exact issue. So frustrated!! Have you had any improvement in mobility and decrease in pain? I am hoping for some good news.
    • Posted

Hi Krista ,

I had surgery over six years ago having my bunion bunionette and four toes fused. I regretted it almost instantly and I have had the worst motion restriction causing back and hip problemsAfter numerous doctors I finally found a Podiatrist who pinpointed the pain. Went in for removal of scar tissue,removal of the screw for the bunion and moved one of the arches. It was a tough decision, because I always felt the first surgery was a terrible decision but I have more motion in my toes six weeks after surgery than I've had in seven years !! The recovery was less than 2 weeks on crutches. It took a while for me to find the right doctor and I wish I did it sooner just never found the dr that made sense but it was the best decision I've ever made! Motion especially in the big toe is so important so do whatever you can to make it happen!

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding. I am a bit discouraged as to my progress. Great to know that you are now improving. Can't imagine the agonizing decision of a second surgery. Praying that I won't get to that point, but you never know. It has been 3 months total, but only 7 weeks after the second surgery. Still extremely stiff and swollen. I must try and be patient, but that is a tall order when it is your feet.

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I developed scar tissue on my big toe after surgery which was 2 1/2 months ago. I am contemplating if I should go under anesthesia and have doctor break scar tissue. Does it work? I also want to know who your doctor was that fixed your problem. I will t ravel anywhere because I have spent so much $$ trying to find right doctor and still got my fretboard messed up.

• Edited

Before I went under anesthesia again I would try getting the cortisone shots that break scar tissue.. they also have a cream that your doctor can prescribe.. hope this helps!
    • Posted

I would love to know the name of the surgeon you went to.

I had bunion surgery and I can't move my toe.

Kathy

• Posted

I had a Lapidus procedure with my first foot and was walking with a limp at 6 months.  I went in for a small operation which took about 20 mins.  Whilst under general anaesthetic I had the toes aggressively manipulated.  I was bruised afterwards but within one week lI was walking without a limp.  I am sure this sounds a good idea for you.  In identallyI am almost 5 months post op with my second toe and am again walking with a limp and quite heavy swelling.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Rosie, thanks for reply am delighted to hear procedure went well for you & am actually ok about getting it done (anything to improve walk & reduce discomfort) Just want to get back to normal at long last ! Not only is it physically tiring and frustrating but emotionally too after so many months ! But it helps to hear from someone who has been there & come through ! Best of luck with your recovery ! 
  • Posted

Hi ,

My consultants says that once the wound has healed enough, I should apply moisuriser or oil ( like  )  directly to the scar/line and gently rub. This prevents the scar tissue on the surface AND underneath from building up too much and restricting flexibility or impairing nerve regeneration. My partner was also advised to do this after breast surgery. The scar tissue can be managed preventatively as it is forming. not sure how effective it is after 6 months, but it is worth a try, and a nice treat for the feet.

• Posted

Hi alicepostop, yes I've been massaging with oil since bandages came off, should have softest right foot in world 😊My scar tissue developed on ball of foot while all scars are on top of foot so guess I was just unlucky to have had this complication. I am having physio, doing my exercises & now walk almost 3 miles most days even tho it hurts like hell ! Had a lot of swelling for a long time so maybe that contributed to scar tissue formation ! Best of luck with your recovery !
    • Posted

I have realised that although i have been out of the boot for a week, I am still not following surgeon's orders to put weight as normal on the front/ and ball of my foot. I am tending to walk more on the side of the foot, just a subconscious fear of putting full weight on the pin, staple and healing bones. But this thread of yours has made me wake up and realise that if i don't get on with normal walking to break it up as if forms,  While I am busy massaging the two surgical scars  with bio oil, I could be allowing scar tissue  under the skin underneath my foot to  become a problem. I probably needed that fact spelling out for me by the surgeon! But now that i have made the connection, i am gonna PUT my Foot Down! (no physio is available, I didn't have it for my first foot, and that one is just fine, so I better just get on with it, huh?) Good luck to all.

• Posted

Yes I remember walking on the side of my foot, I'm 3 months and only just becoming aware of walking on my toe which feels detached.  It all takes time I guess!
    • Posted

It has been a year since I had bunion surgery on both feet. Bones were involved. Left is fine, but the right is stiff, movement is getting worse, which causes unbalance. I have fallen because of this. The ball of foot
    • Posted

The ball of foot is painful. The pin is still in place and the Dr did not see anything else. I know scar tissue may not show up on x-Ray or MRI. I would love to know what anyone has found out to resolve this issue. My Dr. Is not concerned since the pin is in place. It has been a year and getting stiffer.
    • Posted

I am at this point as of today. Making myself walk and stand flat on the ball of my foot. Wondering how you are doing today. I start physical therapy this week and am nervous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.