Diet

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I suffer from both IBS and Diverticulosis. I had a scan and colonoscopy last year. I recently had an ultrasound and parasite test as well as celiac test and blood work. All normal.

Colonoscopy and scan confirmed IBS and diverticulosis. Treated 4 times this year with antibiotics but diverticulitis never proven. Treated by clinical symptoms. This recent episode took me out of work for 5 weeks. Going back on Monday partial hours. A little worried as I also have

Anxiety. In the past 4 months I went down from 125 pounds to 108 pounds as I have had bad diarrhea. I seem to have bad triggers every two to three months. I feel like the bouts are becoming more and more uncontrollable.

Question: don't know what to eat anymore.

Tried fodmap for example and it says not to eat avocados. However I don't have a problem with them. Tried spelt bread and it got me worse. I am afraid of losing more weight as it is starting to look not healthy plus I have not taken my calcium.

Are vitamins OK to take?

Question: My GP ang Gastroenterologist think it is IBS. I see Surgeon in July 23 2015. What should I be asking? My GP feels that another scan would pose more radiation for me since I had radiation treatmemt 5 years ago for a benign skull base tumor. GP said he will let Surgeon decide. However if I have a choice should I ask for a colonodcopy instead?

Thanks

Vivian

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

I Have found that it is wise to avoid anything with skins, pips, seeds, nuts or strong spices when i am experiencing discomfort or problems. So, for example, i would avoid tomatoes, grapes, berries, cake fruit, beans, peas, seeded bread. I would eat cauliflower, leafy veg and veg or fruit that can be peeled. I would eat avocados, no problem. Some people have trouble with onions too, but i dont. Some advice says to go only for soluble fibre so its worth googling that. I take Fybogel every day for good fibre.

Once you feel better then relax the rules gently and see how it goes, but regardlessly i always skin tomatoes, peel apples and avoid berries.

Good luck.

Alex

• Posted

Hi Alex

One more question. I have not eaten any bread for 5 weeks. Is there any bread I can eat?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I try to eat as little sugar as possible and no cream or any rich sauce.  I take Fibergel ever day and eat very small amounts.  This seems to keep things at bay.

• Posted

Vivian

I'm sorry I don't know.  You'll have to try someone more knowledgeable.

Word of advice.  Always read the contents on labels and avoid anything that's medium or high sugar.  Some breakfast cereals are 50% sugar.

With bread, as I said; just read the label.

Good luck.

• Posted

In regards to bread i do not have a problem with white or wholemeal. I avoid the ones with seeds of any sort, which is a shame as these were my favourites. You may get a different response as people seem to find wheat difficult sometimes, but just stick with the no seeds as a general rule.

Alex

• Posted

I cannot believe how many people I found on this forum that actually get it. As sad as it is and wish the best to everyone I am glad I am not alone.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

Aloe vera juice is a very helpful and healing method for diverticular disease.  I have had it for over two years and only had one flare up.  I used aloe vera juice, probiotics and proper diet.  Its important to get the juice and not the drink with the aloe vera.  You mentioned being treated 4 times with antibiotics which I can tell you from experience that your gut has been stripped of all good bacteria.  This is what causes the frequent flare ups because there is nothing to fight off the bad stuff in your gut.  This is where the probiotics is important because that is what fight off the bad things in your gut.  Now when it comes to diet, everyone is different so this is a trial and error process.  For me, fried food, too much meat, corn, some nuts and too much cheese causes me problems.  The thing with this disease we are suffering with in on the inside so you can see it, you only know how you feel.  Our intestines are inflammed when feeling bad.  The things I named above is what has worked wonders for me.  You will have to do liquid diets when a flare up occur and rest as much as possible because this is the only thing that will get you back to normal.  You will need fiber but you can't take in too little nor to much.  Plenty of water is another must.  I say again that I have only had one flare up so I know this has worked for me and the doctor gives very little information on this disease.  Everything I found out was through my own research.  If you keep having flare ups and the disease is not controlled at some point the only option is surgery and eventually death.  I hope the information helps your condition as it has done for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.