Abnormal sugar intake

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was tested for hypoglycaemia a few years ago and the test came back negative, although I'm not sure if it's possible to influence those tests at all. To put it simply on the say of the test at least 1 hour before I had already consumed over 730g of sugar. Also this high intake is not an irregular thing. On average I have about 300g of sugar a day in soft drinks alone.

Not having high sugar drinks every day makes me feel really ill and extremely tired to the point where I have to go home from work (I work as an IT programmer so not a physically demanding job).

To go along with this there have been a few occasions where I have been low on sugar and in physical pain which has made me collapse (while also loosing my vision, disyness, nausea, exhaustion and extremely fast heart rate (sort of the same as when you stand up to fast but on a much larger scale and for a period of a few hours)).

I know my father has it as well which is why I went to get tested. However considering all the effects that point to it and no other reasonable explanation I have found would it be worth getting a second test or can someone else point me in a better direction ?

Also note: high temperature even when feeling cold, resilience to most drugs and unable to ever get hyperactive no matter how much I try.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

An HBA1c haemoglobin test would sort-out whether you are pre-diabetic, diabetic or glucose intolerant.

Being a diabetic has little to do with how much sugar you consume. Diabetes is an autoimmune disorder and is caused by the pancreas being unable to produce any or a sufficient amount of insulin.

On the question of how much sugar you appear to be consuming on a daily basis, might I suggest that if your figures are correct, then I feel you are consuming far too much - think of your teeth if nothing else.

• Posted

I was already tested but after having a lot of sugar so not sure if that affected it at all. My teeth are fine (which is mirical) my main worry is for the tiredness I feel when I don't have any sugar, I'm wanting to get this sorted so I might be able to get some healthier drinks from the doctors.
    • Posted

There are other medical conditions that can cause excessive tiredness,  not the least of which are anaemia, hypertension and thyroid problems.

I feel that you may be barking up the wrong tree to assume that your problem has it's roots in diabetes, although this is possible.

Your doctor is unlikely to be able to supply you with 'healthier' drinks as this is something that you yourself should attempt to do.

Just a word of warning though, do not assume that all natural fruit drinks are good for you because many of them are very rich in Fructose which is a natural sugar, and should only be taken in moderation if there is the risk of diabetes on the horizon.

One of the better beverages is natural Cranberry juice, as this is low in fructose and exceptionally useful in preventing renal problems.

If you are already taking any of the calcium channel antagonists such as Amlodipine you should not drink grapefruit juice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.