Diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was diagnosed in April and with the help of this forum have. Managed quite well have had a chest infection for 4 weeks and was  put up from 13 mg pred to 30 for 5 days am back to 13 and am ok but Dr not repeating any blood tests or doesn't seem to be monitoring me very well am waiting for ultrasound on lump on shoulder and have today been told that my blood sugar of 9.9 is a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes and could be a side effect of the pred? Also shoul I ask to see a rheumatologist I note many of you do this hasn't been offered to me. I thought I was coping but today it just seems to be one thing after another! 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello jilly, I'm sorry to hear of this recent bother and I'm afraid there is nothing I can tell you that would be of help.

my husband is type 2 diabetes and I remember his nurse saying 

• Posted

Oh crikey what happened there! But let me continue, his nurse says that whilst his readings are under 10 she's very happy with him, so I guess you must be on the absolute borderline. 

Preds can bring on steriod induced diabetes, and I understood that as the preds decrease they reexamine your diabetes as that more often than not clears up too.

i was referred to a rheumatologist only because I was classed as atypical, meaning something about my PMR is not as standard. In my case I was 52 when symptoms first appeared and that is classed as young, therefore outside the"standard" expected age group, therefore, referral. If your PMR is posing you no problems and you are reacting to the preds well then your GP may not think it necessary to refer you. However, one would hope that he will at the very least take bloods occasionally, just prior to a reduction just to see if all us ok. But if you are not reporting any flares, then he/she may not bother. But for me I'd be happier if they were to take them maybe twice yearly. Hope that's of help, regards, Christina 

• Posted

Through my journey, which took five years, I started off with  two weekly blood tests and quarterly full spectrum.  

Second year, monthly bloods test and and six monthly full spectrum.

Third year, quarterly blood tests and a yearly full spectrum.

Thereafter quarterly full spectrum.   Right up to I reached Club Zero.

During the whole time, if anything unusual occurred blood tests ordered.

• Posted

Wow that sounds fantastic!  Were you just offered these tests as a matter of course or did you have to ask?  Due to see my docs this afternoon so would be good to know.

• Posted

My GP is brilliant and one of the other Senior Partners had come across another GCA patient 40 years previously and no-one in that practice had ever heard of it and the result was that patient lost her sight.  She was determined that would never happen again.  40 years later, I was her second GCA patient. That meant all 4 GPs in my practice were determined that woud not happen to me.  And my Consultant was also brilliant and his sidekick helped us start up a support group and is a Patron.

I think some GPs do not order regular blood test because they have to pay for them.

• Posted

Hi I have had PMR for 2+ years.  My blood test for diabetes was borderline last year but I was retested a few weeks ago and all levels are now fine.  It seems that taking pred increases your markers fro this but when you decrease the dose the reading go down.  I have had a few problems with chest following getting the flu at Christmas and had a persistant cough some months later which wouldn't clear even after two lots of anti biotics a chest x-ray recently came back as clear so just trying to be patient (again).  I have changed doctors and have just been offered a referal to rheumatologist.  I agree more frequent blood tests should be offered.  All the best, 

• Posted

Hi Jilly, Just read your message.  I can identify with you.  I have had one appt. with Rheumy and that was due to a cancellation.  I was in and out in less than 10mins, no bloods carried out.  (I was already diagnosed by a locum dr. from my practice that I have PMR) that was November last.  I haven't had blood work done this long long time.  I have reduced from 20mg down to 10mg and I am winging it.  So I can empathise with you. Good luck.  Regards Pat
    • Posted

My rheumy never organised my blood tests, I always have them at the local surgery. I just phone up and book it, so far no one has questioned it. I was booking one a month to start with now I am doing one every two to three months.  I always ask for ESR and CRP, but also every so often vit D, full blood test, etc etc. The nurse just says "Oh yes we may as well do that as we have not done it for a while". My GP has started to phone me with the results, she is new, before I used to just get them from the receptionist after they had been checked. 
    • Posted

Thank you ptolemy, but sometimes it takes energy to ring an make appt. at drs. and more energy to do an 8 minute drive.  I don't always have that energy.  
    • Posted

Pat I don't understand. How do you make a doctor's appointment? Also I have to go to the surgery to have my blood test? I also find it tiring to go to the surgery, so I talk to my GP on the phone rather than going in to see her. I am not sure how your system works?? 
    • Posted

Hi, when I want to see the dr.  I have to ring on a Monday and get an appointment sometime that week.  Then I have to get myself down there.  Getting showered, dressed and everything else, then driving to drs.  My own gp has left the practice and this is a new dr.  I couldn't tell you the last time my bloods were done, maybe January/February and that was at Endocrinology.  Sometimes I have to cancel appts (dental etc.,) as I don't have the energy to do everything I need to do in order to get there.  Hope that explains everything to you.  Pat
    • Posted

Ah I understand now. I must admit I try and talk to my GP on the phone rather than visiting her as I find it much less tiring as normally there is no reason for me to meet face to face. It takes a minimum of two weeks to get an appointmet anyway. I think I last saw her last October! I have talked on the phone quite often and may mention blood tests to her and then I just book them. We now, have a system to book doctors' appointments on-line but I have not used it. I do use their on-line system to reorder prescriptions though, I find it really good, they use this website to do it, it is very impressive. 
  • Posted

Jilly, yes, unfortunately, steroids can induce diabetes in susceptible people, and you will need to concentrate on reducing the carbs in your diet.  

If you had raised ESR and CRP markers of inflammation, your Dr should be repeating those tests very frequently in the early days, especially before any planned reduction in dose, just to confirm, along with your symptoms, that each current dose is maintaining control of the inflammation before the next reduction.

Ask for repeat blood tests and, at the same time, ask if you can have referral to a dietitian for advice  on nutrition for diabetics.  If you don't have any joy, then ask to see a different GP or for referral to a rheumy.  Some patients are confident that their GPs have the knowledge to manage their PMR, whereas others find it helpful under a good reheumatologist.  A leading expert on PMR in the UK says that he would prefer everyone to have at least one appointment with a rheumy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.