Stopping Topiramate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All.

I stopped taking Topiramate 25mg daily a week ago. I was taking it for migraine.

I have had headache every day since. I had the same after stopping Sodium Valproate (epilim).

I only took the topiramate for a week and the epilim for a month. Is it likely they are slowly exiting my system or Im having withdrawal headache from the meds? I have not had a migraine yet but the constant headache is not going away and I dont know why rolleyes

Can anyone help/share some similar experience?

Thanks, 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have been suffering with headaches since September and just come off Topirimate. I am unable to tell you if that is normal for headaches to come after it but I wouldnt be surprised. Pop along to the GP and check. It didn't agree with me at all.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi,

It's likely you are suffering with withdrawal symptoms.  You need to have a replacement for Topirimate lined up pretty quickly else the headaches will get worse.

I hated Topirimate as it made me suicidal!

Go to you GP and get a referal to a Neurologist to get the best meds for you.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply..

Why do I need a replacement lined up? Surely when I stop that I will get withdrawal symptoms from that?

I really want to try and go without drugs, topiramate and epilim have turned me off. I am hoping that the withdrawal will stop after a couple of weeks?

• Posted

I was taking 100mg of topiramate every day and I came of it straight away not because there was anything wrong with it but I just didn't see it helping me as my migraine is still the same (I have a constant migraine for 7 months now) I think you should talk to your gp as it may be withdrawal symptoms do you still have a leaflet that came with the tablets read that and see what it says. Hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Didnt do anything for me either, well apart from make POP flat and mild pins and needles....slowly come off them Tina, lower your dose just dont STOP immediately or you will or could get daily chronic headache..

Does Imigran take it away ? if so i sometimes cut my tablets into 1/4 and se that as the help to come off whatever im stopping....

I recently stopped gabapentin, as i made me feel spaced out and dizzy, i actually thought i was on my way out i felt that bad....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.