My feet are becoming overheated during nights and I can't sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since I was diagnosed for polycythemia vera last year 2014n my feet are becoming over heated during night time and it is getting worse.

I had 4 venasections in past and my red cells count are in normal range but platelets are 710 which is high my doctor said it is ok not very risky, , now my next appointment is after 1 month.

I was taking statin (chlostrol lowering tablets) I have stoped them . I am regularly taking Asprin 75 mg tablet once a day before going to bed and also I am taking blood pressure tablet in the morning .

U just want to know what it could be , is it due to diseasse or due to tablets.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't really matter whether your cell count is up or down, your still gonna get symptoms. Not sure if I have ever had burning in my feet but I do get the feeling I am walking on broken glass, the pain can be that bad. So its likely your pv is the problem. Boots might have something on their shelves to help keep u r feet cooler. Best of luck
  • Posted

Hi kaya. Most PV patients have been saying online that they get overheated especially at night. I was much worse before I was put on meds, (Hydroxyurea ) It has helped with some symptoms. I was diagnosed almost 3 yrs ago. I just had venesections at first. Now, I rarely need them any more. The Hydroxy usually keeps my blood controlled. I also used to sweat at night and in the daytime too. Now, I still do sweat a lot if I am exercising vigorously. However, I feel pretty good at night now. Maybe eventually your doctor will use meds. Oh yes, I too take aspirin each day. I wish you lots of luck and feeling much better soon. I have to say, I am able to lead a fairly good life.

harrishill

• Posted

Hi there, I am 46 and have been diagnosed with PRV for only 3 months.  I am glad you posted your question as I get burning feet as well as the sensation of walking on broken glass. A few days after the feet stop burning I will get large thick layers of skin peeling off my feet.  This has really puzzled me and was not sure if it was to do with the condition or not.  I would be interested if anyone else has the skin peeling and if there is anything they have been able to do to lessen these symptoms.  I work fulltime and when the feet are playing up it is really hard to walk.
    • Posted

Hi Jo, the feeling like your walking on glass sounds painful, I think that one requires a trip to your GP, as with the pealing skin.

I have noticed an alarming amount of patients with any MPN (Myeloproliferative Neoplasms ) are also diagnosed with fibromyalgia, not that I'm saying this is what you have, I'm not a Dr...

Also, I get feelings of stabbing with lots of needles, or a large hot needle feeling. pinching & cramping too... these sorts of things require a trip to your GP as it can be caused by other things like severe iron deficiency (not to self medicate because it can cause your red cell count go through the roof)

• Posted

Yea, I understand and concur with your symptoms. The foot pains can be crippling at times , as for skin peeling I though that was exclusive to me. I feel that every and any symptom I get, is eexaserbated by pv. I am back to having sleepless nights due to needing blood off again. The itching lethargy headaches and foot pains are all very prominent. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Kaya, it is very normal for many who have Polycythaemia Vera, plus itching wich is caused by histamines, for some unknown reason we over produce them too... H1 histamines cause itching, and H2 histamines cause us to over produce acids in the stomach (I bloat quite a lot now).

Antihistamines can help a bit.. I also get burning feet and hands, let alone really bad night sweats, daytime too. Ice pack on the feet can help.

• Posted

Hi Kaya35376 Look up Erythromelalgia there is an association which I am a member of so if you put it in your search engine along with association you will find it. Does it help if you cool your feet down by some means I use a bowl of cold water, polycythemia vera  can cause this. It's very rare a lot of doctors have never heard of it. However, I hope it isn't that as it is a horrible illness. If you think it might be join them there are lots of tips to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.