Can anyone give me any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi My name is Mick and Im 43 years old, about 8 years ago I started my first bout of cluster headaches, at the time I was on holiday and thought I had a serious brain condition, I was fotunate enough that they only lasted for 2 weeks and had gone by the time I arrived back in the UK so didnt go to the doctors and just put it down to the heat. Two years later they returned and lasted about 3 weeks and have done every two years since.

Last night I had my first cluster, straight away I knew what it was and had been expecting them to reappear as its my two year anniversary for suffering.

Four years ago I was offered an "alternative therapy" when they started and this did absolutely nothing to help and then was prescribed Imigran 20mg Nasal spray which relieves the severe pain after about 15 mins from commencement of a cluster, then two years ago the same.

So I went to my doctors this morning as I know the next bout has started to firstly be asked well how do I know its a cluster headache (every sufferer reading this will know what I mean when you say you know EXACTLY that it is a cluster) then got asked if I wanted to try the alternative therapy again to which I replied no, I just want the Imigran because although it doesnt prevent the headaches, it certainly helps making the pain more manageable, to be told that this is expensive? after a bit of begging I managed to get 12 doses prescribed but told that if Im still suffering after they have run out then I will have to try the alternative therapy instead as its cheaper.

Im so p*ssed off, I am so worried thast my Imigran is going to run out and I know I cant handle these headaches without this, I used to literally headbutt the floor before I found this drug.

Does anyone know if I can buy this legit over the counter in the UK or online?

Also is anyone else having the same problems getting it prescribed?

I know this is a bit of a long winded post but Im so worried Im going to run out of Imigran before my latest bout finishes.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do a search for Imigran otc and options come up. They say generic so not sure if this is acceptable to you.

what was the alternate therapy you were offered? Or was it alternate med, the generic Imigran? 

Only other ( pricey) option I know of is private GP appointment and private prescription. 

• Posted

Hi, I can't remember the alternative therapy as it was 6 years ago now, it was a preventative medicine, all I remember was it didn't prevent me getting the cluster headaches at all, in fact I don't think there is anything out there that does, but the sumatriptan spray certainly eases the pain when the headache starts and usually after around 20 mins the pain is totally bearable, without it, it can be over an hour of excruciating pain :-(
  • Posted

Sorry, I was looking at tablets, not nasal spray! Cannot see at the moment that you can buy this otc. Any use investigating cost of private prescription? 
  • Posted

Hi Mick, cluster headaches are serious and you must get the treatment you need. (I have just been diagnosed with sunct). Have you had a referral to a neurologist?
  • Posted

Hi Mick

My name is Owen and I have been suffering from Cluster Headaches for 5 years,I have tried all the drugs including injections to the head.

The only thing that makes the severe pain go away is pure medical Oxygen which I have delivered to my home.

If I get on my oxygen as soon as I feel the pain comming onit will cease the pain within 20 mins.

Ask your GP or headache speciaist for it.

If I can be of any assistance please do not hessitate to write back.

Regards Owen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.